Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Hard Drives C & :D

HD

• Please log in to reply

wandoo3

wandoo3

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi  ,I have windows 7 home premium,,,  it has  my :C drive as main h/drive  I installed another Hard Drive which is now D drive............ My Question is this, can l reformat C drive without  harming my separate D drive,, from windows 7  disk,, thank you

Edited by wandoo3, 09 July 2015 - 12:31 AM.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

You can format the c: drive and install windows 7 it could not affect D: drive..

Edit: Make sure which drive you want to format during installation select c: correctly

Edited by Dashing star, 09 July 2015 - 01:40 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What is on the D: drive now? If you installed an OS there then it's boot files will be on the C: drive so formatting it will make your D: drive non-bootable.

Please post a full screen capture of Disk Management with all fields expanded so they can be seen  completely:

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen. Expand the fields as necessary so everything can be seen.

How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7/8).

Use the Browse and Attach This File buttons below the text input area while using the More Reply Options editor to upload and insert here.

wandoo3

wandoo3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

l  hope this is what you mean  regards   wandoo3

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I wanted the entire Disk Management window expanded to full screen with all fields widened as needed so everything shows, like this: 

2015-07-10 19_39_07-Disk Management.jpg

but what you posted may be enough as I see the reserved partition is marked as System and Active so it looks like the boot files are there.

Instead of formatting C:, disconnect it (power and data cables) and test. If okay then formatting won't be a problem.

wandoo3

wandoo3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

sorry about the mistake..  is this better  thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

See my post above yours please.

wandoo3

wandoo3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

sry      and  pardon my  comp savvy  knowledge...  but what would I test it for?.......I was hoping re formatting would get rid of some of the junk build up  since its been in my comp  around  5 years..and I`ve read when there are all kinds of unwanted stuff  floating around in there,,  about once a week,,at start up   I think its checkdisk  (not sure of name)  but that comes on screen and then takes about 15 to 20 mins to scan for consistency..  does that make sense to you?   thanks once more for helping me..

Edited by wandoo3, 11 July 2015 - 07:59 PM.