Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Networking

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I'm having a little problem, we have a network in the Flats now, and there is one problem. I have set the network up good, and its working from my computer (of course lol) and yet when my mate upstairs try's to use the Internet, it says that page cannot be displayed and wont allow him to use the Internet.

How can I fix this?

Advertisements

sbrew312

sbrew312

• Pip
  • 5 posts
if he has access to the network, but not the internet, you may need a winsock xp repair. it's downloadable from several sites. if he doesn't have access to the network at all, then you've got a completely different problem. let me know if he can log on to the network, or not.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Yes he can access the network, and my computer has just been redone (meaning re-installed the OS completely from scratch) and I have had no trouble with my computer on any net work. i have a 32 bit computer and my mate has a 64bit.

But with my mate can access the network but not the internet.

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Can he use a different program, such as a chat program (such as AIM/MSN, etc..)? If he can, then you have a problem specific to the IE.

Also, do you have the network setup to share the internet connection? It could be quite possible that it's not. You could retry setting it up, making sure to have it set to "Share Internet Conenction".

-SkyHi

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and your network is set up...how?

the cable from your "mates" computer connects to...?

your computer connects to....?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Can he use a different program, such as a chat program (such as AIM/MSN, etc..)? If he can, then you have a problem specific to the IE.

Also, do you have the network setup to share the internet connection? It could be quite possible that it's not. You could retry setting it up, making sure to have it set to "Share Internet Conenction".

-SkyHi

View Post

Im not sure if he can use any chatting software or not. I'm using that network setup wizard.

Yes the internet is on shared.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

and your network is set up...how?

the cable from your "mates" computer connects to...?

your computer connects to....?

View Post

Network is using cables and a hub.

Both computers connects to the hub.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
In addition to this, the hub is a 8-port 10/100Mbps Qos Switch.

And if I have not told you all, that his computer is Windows XP Home 64bit and mine is Windows XP Home 32bit

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
but is it a router?

from your description

cable==cable modem==hub==various pcs...

it is likely your isp allows only one connection per account...to get around this, you need a router with with NAT, which will give all pcs an internal ip address and maintain one external

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Telstra told me that they dont care about the internet not being networked and that they allow it.

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
The external one is called the subnet mask

-SkyHi

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Telstra told me that they dont care about the internet not being networked and that they allow it.

View Post

they do not care if you network behind a router, but they are not going to give you multiple ip addresses.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

The external one is called the subnet mask

-SkyHi

View Post

that is completely wrong.

a subnet mask is a way to subdivide a network and is applied to ip address.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I found out the reason for it not working. (not been able to share the internet)

Its because of the modem, it is only designed for one computer full stop. So I need to get a router or somthing.