Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Installation

• Please log in to reply

jharper

jharper

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having problems installing a replacement internal Dell modem. (Dell dimension running XP). The syetem seems to install but the modem wont appear in the devices list or control panel / phone and modems after many attempted installations. The modem diagnostic has even detected a dial tone (althouth this is very tempramental and does not work every time.)

I have run the Windows XP repair and I have reset the BIOS to default settings. I have used different slots but all to no avail.

Dell support are now saying that I have to strip out the OS and start again: when the computer works perfectly in every other respect this is something I am loathe to do.

Some time ago I had a Serflog virus attack: a new one that was not known even to Symantec who eventually sent me a fix which I have run a couple of times and this reports no virus detected. Could it be that the OS registry files are corrupted preventing modems from being detected? I have also run Adaware and Spybot.

I have run Pconpoint trial version and it has found hundreds of problems with the registry and shared files: should I buy the full version and hope that it fixes my problem?

Grateful for any advice. :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Is this a PCI modem? Was the previous modem also a PCI slot modem that was in the same slot? Some manufacturers use combo sound card/modems (my old hp did, and when I replaced it with a regular PCI sound card and PCI modem, it took some effort to get them working). Do you have the current driver for the modem? I agree with you, no need to reinstall the os. This is the pat answer for most tech support people when they don't know what to do. Make sure you have the current driver and maybe try another PCI slot.

Edited by austin_o, 16 June 2005 - 06:19 AM.

jharper

jharper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

Thanks for the advice. Yes it is a PCI and yes I have downloaded the most recent driver from the Dell site. If it were just the driver, surely the modem would still be listed in the devices or pop up as a new piece of hardware and its not doing any of these things. Also yes it is in a different slot to the original PCI modem.

Any more siggestions?

Cheers

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Was the original modem working ok prior to the virus attack? If it was, and stopped working due to the virus, I suspect you thought it should start working again, and when it didn't you decided to try replacing it? Now the new one is not working so, you either have two bad modems or some residual affect of the virus that still needs to be conquered. Any chance you could try that modem out in another computer? That would prove the modem is good.

jharper

jharper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok Thanks. I'll maybe try that.