Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Norton repeatedly displays "Security Request: Outbound traffic det

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

halfduplex

halfduplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

You overlooked my parting question in the last paragraph of my previous message (msg #13).  Could you give me your thoughts on that, please?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

I have one remaining question for you. I stopped installing MS Windows updates about 8 months ago, because each time I did, it broke my Internet connection. The first two times this happened, I devoted time to figuring out which update caused the problem, and sequestered the culprits. But when it continued to happen, I ultimately decided to just block all further MS updates. I realize that this creates vulnerabilities, but updates that break my Internet connection all the time are also not good. What do you recommend that I do?

Oops sorry missed that

Was it a specific KB that broke the internet connection ? As if it was then that one can be hidden so that you do get the rest that are security related

Can you recall the KB number ?

halfduplex

halfduplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

The culprit appeared to be KB3003057.  I hid it in November of last year, and installed the other updates that were available at that time.  But I set Windows Update to manual, so that I could examine subsequent updates before installing them.

The next time I looked at updates to decide whether to install them, they included cumulative updates that I suspected would include the troublesome KB3003057.  So I haven't installed Windows updates since November of last year.  Windows update now shows 112 important updates and 5 optional ones.

What would you recommend that I do at this point?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

OK that KB has now been superceded

The update that this article describes has been replaced by a newer update. We recommend that you install the most current cumulative security update for Internet Explorer. To install the most current update, go to the following Microsoft website:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
For more technical information about the most current cumulative security update for Internet Explorer, go to the following Microsoft website:
https://technet.micr...curity/bulletin

So I would ensure that KB3003057 is still hidden and then update the rest in batches of 20, rebooting between each  

halfduplex

halfduplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks.  Good suggestion about 20 at a time.

Is the PayPal link below your posts a good way to show my gratitude to you for your assistance?  If not, what is a better way?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The link is good young sir :)

I will keep the thread open until all your updates are installed just in case anything should go awry, although I doubt it

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.