Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat drive

• Please log in to reply

wen_peek

wen_peek

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello everyone,

Not sure if I'm posting this to the correct place or not but here's my problem.  I just purchased a used Dell laptop (I don't have the model # with me at the moment) and I want to go in and do a fresh install of windows 7 only because you just never know what's on a used computer.  Of course Dell (or Microsoft) does not provide Windows 7 disks anymore plus it also has a much newer version of MS Office that I really want to keep.  Any suggestions on what I should do?  Thanks so much for your time.

Respectfully,

Wendy ~ Dallas, Texas

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Get the full model number and we can check the Users Guide to see how to do a restore to factory state. Normally with Dell computers you start it by pressing F11 or Ctrl+F11 during boot as soon as the Dell logo appears. Keep tapping every second or so until the recovery starts.

This will wipe everything and put the computer back to how it was when it was purchased.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

If the newer MS office was not part of the factory image then you wont get that back when you do a factory restore to like new condition.