Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't load

• Please log in to reply

dan5978

dan5978

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,

I was playing an MMO (video intense) when my screen just went blank. The only thing I could do was hit 'reset'. My computer loaded normally after that, and I managed to load it into safe mode with no problems. I looked at DeviceManager, everything looked cool, but when I then tried restarting it and loading windows normally it seemed ro go ok untilthat animated part, when those 4 colors join together on the screen to form the Windows logo. My screen went blank right after that, Aand that is what it keeps doing now. I tried entwring my password and hitting enter at that stage, but there seemed to beno response.

My OS is Win 7 Ultimate.
How do I troubleshoot it?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello dan5978   :welcome: ,

:oops:  Safe mode uses a basic display driver.

As the screen functions in safe mode, then your currently installed graphics driver must be the first suspect.

Try to uninstall and reinstall the graphic drivers..

Am I correct in assuming the screen goes black most of the time or just when playing a video? :huh:

Hope it helps

dan5978

dan5978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Windows only loads into safe mode. If I choose to load it normally during loading It gives me this blank screen and I have to reset.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello dan5978,

From the information that you have provided the suggestion by Dashing star to uninstall and then reinstall the graphics drivers is the correct approach, you will however need to do this while the computer is in Safe Mode.

We need some further information;

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

If you have an add on video card, do you have a driver installation disk that may have been provided with it.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

dan5978

dan5978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello guys,

Thanks for all the info and help. I've beed fooling around with my video driver for the past hour,and I have a feeling it's my video card. Whenever I install the correct driver, from the manufacturer of my card, my computer gets stuck while loading the OS when i restart after the installation - no led activity and blank screen, just about when you'd expext the login screen to appear. I can either load my system in safe mode, or normally, but with the generic driver.

I have safe mode with internet, everything works fine except video, as I have described. My graphics card is an AMD EAH6870, a Gygabyte motherboard - I'll need to look in the box. My computer is custom made.

I guess now I'll need to run a g. card diagnostics program?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Does the motherboard have a graphics port that you can plug the monitor into?

If so, temporarily remove the graphics card entirely and use the monitor on that port.

That will prove if it is the graphics either driver or card at fault.

Nev.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Before removing the video card check for a system restore point that is before the time and date that the issue first started, you will need to do this by booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, see below;

You need to have an administrator account to perform these steps.

Start your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. 

Log on.

At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe, and then press Enter.

Select an appropriate time/date.

Note

If you use System Restore when the computer is in safe mode, you cannot undo the restore operation. However, you can run System Restore again and choose a different restore point, if one exists

NB: It is important that we know the PSU details as it could be the power supply falling over when it is put fully under load. 

dan5978

dan5978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It's a pretty good PSU - a 580 watt Seasonic - and my computer stays on when this happens, the power does not go off.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Unfortunately the above does not prove that the PSU is not at fault.

Have you tried the system restore point yet.

dan5978

dan5978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
And I've got no onboard video, forgot to say.

Advertisements

dan5978

dan5978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have no restore points.......

dan5978

dan5978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
One more thought - if Windows loads fully without the driver but freezes while loading with the driver, doesn't it rule out the PSU? I mean, the load in both cases is virtually identical, and gpu is not under much load. I could just put max load the CPU and see if that causes a problem, to rule PSU out.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Having no restore points is bad and once you have resolved this issue you should ensure that you create one and then continue to do so on a regular basis.

One more thought - if Windows loads fully without the driver but freezes while loading with the driver, doesn't it rule out the PSU? I mean, the load in both cases is virtually identical, and gpu is not under much load. I could just put max load the CPU and see if that causes a problem, to rule PSU out. 

Not conclusively no as the likes of Windows Aero and the AMD CCC software are not loaded with only Windows basic video drivers running, fwiw, forget about testing any other hardware until you have a fully functional computer.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking and see if the AMD auto detect tool is able to install a stable driver for you, see here

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

dan5978

dan5978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I agree with you concerning restore points, I will not be neglecting that anymore.
I have run the AMD tool you've linked to, it identified my hardware correctly, including the g. card, and gave thenfollowing message:

"We are unable to find a driver for your system."

Daniel.

dan5978

dan5978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
But I know the model of the card I am using, been installing either the latest version from manufacturer's site, or the one I had used before, that is still saved on my HD.
Thenresults are the same. I've just reinstalled my entire ATI driver suit - still no change. It freezes after I log on into my Win account.