Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After installing my new GPU...

• Please log in to reply

Kronomic

Kronomic

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hey I've done some research and asked some people if my APU is a bottleneck, I own a A10-6800K @ 4.5 Ghz (OC)

And people have told me to disable my apu and just keep my cpu, and there will be a significant performance increase. I was just wondering if that was true?

Thanks

-Regards,

Kronomic

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Kronomic,

Having read your upgrade thread here I am aware that you intend fitting a XFX - Radeon R9 270X 2GB video card, this will become your default graphics device and the MBs integrated video ports would normally be automatically disabled, what you need to check though is whether or not the two devices are capable of working together in Crossfire, this tends to be more common on high end notebooks that have CPUs capable of producing graphics + a dedicated video chip so I feel that it is unlikely in your case and so you should not need to disable anything in the BIOS.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Kronomic

Kronomic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

So what your saying is that if it is disabled, The graphics card will no longer be bottlenecked by the crappy crossfired one? Which is the apu?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Where the computer concerned is a desktop once the BIOS detects an add on video card the MBs integrated video port/s will normally be automatically disabled, this can often be manually changed in the BIOS but as long as you have not done so the add on video card will be the primary graphics device and the APU will be disabled, this will free up resources for the processor and result in better overall performance.

Suggested steps for before you intend fitting the new video card;

1: Save the drivers for the new card to a folder created on your desktop.

2: Shut down the computer and disconnect all power cords.

3: Ground yourself on a bare piece of metal on the case or PSU before handling/fitting the new video card.

4: Reassemble the computer ensuring that all connections are correct and secure.

5: Restart the computer in Safe Mode and install the drivers that you saved to your desktop.

6: Restart the computer as you normally would and test.

Polite reminder

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Kronomic

Kronomic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

So, I know how to install a new gpu. I just have 0 clue on what to do afterwards, someone replied to my previous thread about it and said to boot it in safe mode and install the drivers that you saved into a folder, then restart your computer normally. But question, How do you go about putting your correct drivers, for YOUR card, on your desktop to be installed in safe mode?

Thanks

-Kronomic

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

How do you go about putting your correct drivers, for YOUR card, on your desktop to be installed in safe mode?

You have to download the drivers from the website of your graphic card.

For ex. if you use NVIDIA then go to the website and select the model of the card and your OS ex. windows 7 or xp,  and download it and save it on a folder ,

first fix your graphic card in your motherboard and see whether it get recognized through device manager

then in device manager right click on your new graphic card and select Update driver it will search for the driver that you saved in your computer and update it...

if not then you manually update the driver by clicking on the download driver setup.exe and run it and then restart your pc.

Edit: In order to receive updates of this topic select follow this topic gtg2.png  on the upper most right corner

Edited by Dashing star, 14 July 2015 - 10:56 PM.

Kronomic

Kronomic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

And then after that I just go to the AMD Gaming Evolved App, And check that it says all drivers up to date? :)

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

And then after that I just go to the AMD Gaming Evolved App, And check that it says all drivers up to date? :)

Good to go!  :spoton:

Updated drivers are safe always! :thumbsup:

whether anyother issues there?

Kronomic

Kronomic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Nope thank you so much! :)

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Thanks for update!  :thumbsup:

Post back if you have issues!  :wave:

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Kronomic,

For convenience and to avoid any conflicting guidance your two video card related threads have been merged.

NB: Is there a particular reason why you will not click on the Follow this topic tab ?