Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ok - I got the white screen - help!

• Please log in to reply

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Ok - I posted about the slow start up in an earlier thread. Sounds like a car battery that is almost dead when you try and start it up - and still does.

Since this is another issue or perhaps a continuation of that or a new issue I was not sure where to post - continue that thread or start

a new topic.

Here is the link to the other thread - http://www.geekstogo...ng-power-button

Just a few days ago ( I have actually been using another computer for a while ) I started up the mb pro and and after a few minutes I got the white diagonal lines, although I could still see the desktop pic with the top menu and dock but hitting keys did nothing.

Well after a few more startups in the last few days, that desktop disappeared with just the white lines across a grey screen, then the next start up the apple logo had diagonal lines and then just now I fired it up again and I got the white screen.

I've seen this issue posted about before and I cannot remember what it means and I hope it is fixable.

It's a 2006 15" MacBook Pro. I had the video chip replaced a few years back.

So, cuz it's 9 years old and otherwise works perfectly - except that I am maxed out at OSX 10.6.8 - I wonder if it is worth fixing - depending on what needs to be done.

If it's the hard drive, I am wondering if it is worth removing it and replacing with a solid state?

Any thoughts?

PS I started it up while holding down the ALT key and it seemed fine and I put it on sleep. About a 1/2 hour later I lifted the hood and it looked fine and then back to the white lines, then black lines.

Graphics chip?

Edited by itsmesunny, 15 July 2015 - 12:43 PM.

Advertisements

aido

aido

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Try to boot into Safe Mode. Shut down your macbook. Hit the Power Button and hold down the Shift-Key during startup. This will start into safe boot. The Safe boot will correct some issues automatically. The boot into safe mode is slower so don't panic. Flashing Screen is normal in this mode. After booting into safe mode you don't do anything. Restart from there in normal mode and test.

If the problem exists, restart your mac and hold the S-Key during startup. This will startup into Single User Mode. In the Terminal type the following Command:

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Tell me if you got any errors.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
Ok. Thanks.

I started in safe mode like you wrote. I got the original desktop pic.  It did not flash.

The window with username and password comes up. I don't fill that in. Well, actually I tried and I guess I forgot the username cuz it did not work.

Underneath it gives the option to restart. I am just going to hit Restart.

Ok. I hit Restart and it started up Ok.  After a short time there were some white lines vertically. Some - not the whole screen but I could still

work the key to Restart and so far it looks Ok.

Edited by itsmesunny, 15 July 2015 - 02:11 PM.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

NA

Edited by itsmesunny, 15 July 2015 - 03:24 PM.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

well, it was ok for a while then I there are white vertical lines and the rainbow wheel will not stop spinning and no keys work.

I am confused cuz there are green and black here.

It's -  /sbin/fsck -fy   and    I don't get the second line at all.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I typed in the first line /sbin/fsck -y and hit return.

It just takes me another line with my computer name.

Now what?

aido

aido

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

UH I'm sorry that was my mistake I forgot...

Restart the mac and hit the Keys CMD + S you will startup automatically in the shell mode.

You should see something like this:

bash:-$

If not hit Enter to get the line.

Type one of the following commands that work

If you get any errors write down and post here. Wait until the procedure is done and type the following command

reboot

This restart your mac in normal mode.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I am confused here.

Do I restart while holding down CMD + S   ???

Also, I need clarity here:

/sbin/fsck -fy - for the first line, right?

and what exactly - for the second line?

run /sbin/fsck -fy then fsk - fy   -   ???

or

/sbin/fsck - fy  then only fsk - fy    - ???

please put here EXACTLY what I am supposed to punch in for the second line.

Edited by itsmesunny, 15 July 2015 - 03:11 PM.

aido

aido

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Try 

/sbin/fsck -fy

This is the standard call, if this not work try

fsk - fy

You don't need both.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Ok. I started up holding down CMD + S and got my regular desktop screen.

I don't see bash: -$

ok. I typed that in terminal. Is that what I am supposed to do? If it is, it does not work. no command

I am sorry but I just don't understand what I am supposed to do anymore.

Been doing this for hours and burned out. Need a break.

If you could write here EXACTLY what I need to do I sure would appreciate it, cuz now I am so confused as to what EXACTLY to type

and where.

I appreciate you helping me.

Edited by itsmesunny, 15 July 2015 - 03:29 PM.

Advertisements

aido

aido

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Hmm read here for single user mode (shell mode)

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

well, guess what? it seems to be holding now.

usually the lines show up within a minute or two. but now it still looks ok.

Edited by itsmesunny, 15 July 2015 - 03:47 PM.

aido

aido

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Tell me if you have still any issues. As I read before in the devel forum the problem are corrupted Systemfiles this need to reinstall your OS. If you cannot solve the problem you should backup all your data and reinstall OS X. 

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Hi!

Each time I start it up it is different. I did do the single used mode and the white text ( a lot of white text ) appeared on the black screen. I was attempting to read it but shortly after the white vertical lines appeared. All I could see in those few seconds was "kernel" - kernel panic? I have had a kernel panic in the past but it did not look like that.

So I powered down, started it up again and the desktop did come back BUT then the white diagonal lines - again.

When the diagonal or vertical lines appear ( sometimes white, sometimes red etc. ) there is nothing I can do. Nothing works on the keyboard except the numbers and caps green lights, and if I leave it on for a few minutes they go out.

Without hitting control and S, it loads with the diagonal lines and then the grey screen. Sometimes I get the desktop but the lines appear shortly after.

So, I am guessing it the video chip. What do you think?

If I put in the OSX install - what would happen? I hesitate cuz I am thinking I would probably not be able to eject it?

So given what I wrote can I hook up my mac to another mac with a firewire cable and an external hard drive - can I still do a backup?

aido

aido

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

I guess your logic board is broken. You should go to repair it. You can test it during start up hold down the D key if you hear the startup sound. This will take some minutes. If you have an problem with the hardware you get an Error-Code. Write this down and go to the next Apple Shop.