Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager Can't Find Modem

• Please log in to reply

beano

beano

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I posted this in another thread but have been asked to move it to a topic of its own:
--

I'm having problems with my modem now! ;)

I've just moved house so no broadband at the minute, but got the phone line going yesterday figuring I could use dialup networking...

WRONG!!

When I open a DUN connection it comes up saying "Modem Removed Standard 56000 Modem (COM1)" or something like that and it doesn't even try and dial.

The modem is NOT in device manager and when I scan for it windows doesn't find it. When I try to add it manually it doesn't even seem to recognise the drivers - when I click 'Have Disk' and select the driver's .inf file it goes back but won't let me click next to continue ;)

I did futter about with the COM ports a few months ago while I was still on broadband (I think it was to do with Bluetooth and/or a USB data cable for a phone).

Can anyone help? PLEASE! :tazz:

--
For clarification: the modem used to work say about a year ago the last time I tried it - I don't believe the problem is with the card itself. I'm tempted to install a clean OS on a new partition to confirm this although don't really want the hassle.

Edited by beano, 14 June 2005 - 06:01 AM.

Advertisements