Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SSD showing up in BIOS but not Disk Management

• Please log in to reply

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hello!

I've been trying to install and partition my Samsung 840 Pro SSD but I've been having some difficulty. I've set the SATA ports to AHCI, I've connected all the necessary cables, and I can even see the drive in my BIOS boot selector. The only problem is that Windows cannot locate the SSD in disk management and so I am unable to partition it or even transfer any files to it. Am I missing something? I'll gladly post screenshots wherever asked.

Cheers!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Gday urdadinatoaster.

What Plans do you have for the SSD.

What OS is installed? and do you have the installation CD?

​Yes, please post a screenshot of Disk Management, expanded so we can see the whole thing. 

AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Check the BIOS to be sure AHCI is the drive mode, i thought it was just unformatted but you don't see it in disk management, then just use it to formate the drive and restart.

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Gday urdadinatoaster.

What Plans do you have for the SSD.

What OS is installed? and do you have the installation CD?

​Yes, please post a screenshot of Disk Management, expanded so we can see the whole thing. 

I would like to install my OS on the SSD and maybe a few key programs in the future.

I am running Windows 10 build 10162 and have the files on a flash drive.

Attached Thumbnails

• dskman.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Gday.

Thanks for the info.

Providing you have a Windows 10 Preview running on the system you can upgrade to the latest release, but any fresh install will no longer work as Microsoft have deactivated al keys.

You will need to install your W7/8.1 first, then upgrade when W10 is released.  > http://www.winbeta.o...july-29th-nears

Do you have a W7 or W8.1 installation CD?   We can use it to find and format the SSD.

Your Disk Management shows you only have 1% free space, this is not enough for the drive to function correctly.   You are endanger of problems starting.   Please free up some space, uninstall programs you no longer use or require.   Use the windows tools to clean up the drive.

urdadinatoaster

urdadinatoaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Gday.

Thanks for the info.

Providing you have a Windows 10 Preview running on the system you can upgrade to the latest release, but any fresh install will no longer work as Microsoft have deactivated al keys.

You will need to install your W7/8.1 first, then upgrade when W10 is released.  > http://www.winbeta.o...july-29th-nears

Do you have a W7 or W8.1 installation CD?   We can use it to find and format the SSD.

Your Disk Management shows you only have 1% free space, this is not enough for the drive to function correctly.   You are endanger of problems starting.   Please free up some space, uninstall programs you no longer use or require.   Use the windows tools to clean up the drive.

Hmm. No, I don't actually have a Windows 7/8.1 CD. I bought this PC off a friend a year or two ago and it didn't come with it. I was also not aware that Microsoft had deactivated all W10 keys, though that makes perfect sense.

Well I guess there's nothing I can do until I pick up another install disk, eh?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Thanks for the reply.

We can still try detecting the SSD with a pretend install.   Please do the following.

With the PSU switched off.

Disconnect all external hardware, except the keyboard/mouse and monitor.

Disconnect all SATA Data cables to drives at the MB end.

Connect the SSD to the same MB SATA port as you used for the C: Drive.

Using the W10 USB stick, restart and begin the OS install.

Hopefully the SSD will be seen, at the "where do you want to install Window" screen, click on Format.

Create a single partition, assign Drive letter X. 

When format completed, abort the install.

With the PSU switched off.

Remove the USB stick.

Reconnect the drives and boot to the OS.

Is the SSD now seen in Disk Management?

Is the computer a Dell or similar?   Or a DIY build?