Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two beeps

Best Answer The old Submariner , 30 August 2015 - 11:12 PM

Many thanks to all members that took the time and trouble to offer their advice.  Although the problem hasn't been sorted, I am going to put it on the back burner for a while as everything see... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Can anyone please tell me if this is a problem or just nothing to worry about?  I have noticed lately that my pc no longer gives a single "Beep" when starting up, I always thought that by sounding off a single Beep it meant the pc was working fine so does no Beep meant that there is a problem?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello The Old Submariner,

Did your pc starts normally (without beeps) or having trouble after starting up of your pc?

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi Dashing star and thanks for your reply.
My pc had always up until just recently given the one Beep on starting up, now it doesn't and somehow it doesn't go through the same sort of process, ie. all the system checking on screen as it goes through the start up process. Otherwise apart from a few blips now and then it seems to be okay

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Otherwise apart from a few blips now and then it seems to be okay

Apart from beeps no issues on startup of your pc? If so then may be the internal speaker not good so that it stopped beeping..

Is it desktop or laptop?

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Desk top

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

May be the speaker is not good!

Dont worry! if you have any further issues then post back!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

To check out the internal speaker, power down then remove all memory. Power up and you should get beeps.

Just be careful putting the memory back in.

AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Discharge BIOS battery (recovery BIOS factory defaults)
Suggest you pull out video card and memory, clean it up

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I started off by having no beep/s at all when I turned my Pc on, now I get 2 beeps but things seem to be okay, so what's going on any ideas please?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello The old Submariner,

Your two latest threads have been merged, the above question is best kept within this thread as you are dealing with the same issue + it will avoid you receiving any duplicated suggestions in a new thread.

Explanation for the beep pattern, different brands of BIOS have their own beep codes but two beeps commonly means there is a problem with the memory (this can include video memory) following the guidance offered by Ztruker in reply #7 should be done first but can I additionally suggest that if you have more than one stick of Ram that you try one stick at a time to test when you reassemble the computer.

Advertisements

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks to those that have offered their advice. I will try out the suggested ideas plus I have also been advised that it maybe the CMOS battery as well.
I will post the results when done.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Thanks for updating!  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for updating!  :thumbsup:

Ditto to the above but not sure on where the CMOS battery comes into it  :headscratch:

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Well, I have renewed the cmos battery, taken out the memory stick and cleaned it, also while the side was off I ran  the hoover over everything using the soft brush attachment so that there were no traces of dust anywhere.

To answer your query Dashing star concerning the CMOS  battery, this was a tip from my oldest son who is an IT consultant and whether right or wrong I just added his suggestion to the pot.

Still no change so back to the drawing board :headscratch:

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Still no display? or the issue with only beeps?