Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two beeps

Best Answer The old Submariner , 30 August 2015 - 11:12 PM

Many thanks to all members that took the time and trouble to offer their advice.  Although the problem hasn't been sorted, I am going to put it on the back burner for a while as everything see... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

This is what is so annoying, I still have the two beeps but the picture and general running of my pc is okay albeit a little slow at times.  I would like to be able to ignore the fact that I am getting two instead of one single beep on start up but I guess it's one of those things with me that something isn't doing what it is meant to :headscratch:

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Remove added memory

If you've recently added or tried to add additional memory to the computer and have started getting these beeps. Remove all new memory you've added to the computer. If the computer works fine after removing the new memory you're encountering either an incompatibility or defective new memory.

Open computer and reseat memory

Sometimes when the computer is moved or over time a memory stick can become loose causing the computer to be unable to read the memory or get errors as it's reading it. Try fixing this issue by opening the computer removing each of the memory sticks you have in the computer and then placing them back into the computer.

Swap memory location

If reseating the memory did not resolve the issue try swapping the location of the memory. If you have only one stick of memory in the computer try moving it to another slot and then boot the computer.

If you have more than one stick of memory try removing all but one stick of memory and boot the computer. If this does not resolve the issue try removing that stick of memory and try one of the other sticks of memory.

Try another computers memory

If you have access to another computer that uses the same memory, try using its known good memory in your computer.

If another computers memory works you know that you have bad memory. If another computers memory does not work and it is compatible with your computer unfortunately your motherboard or the slots on the motherboard are defective causing it to be unable to properly read the memory, which means the motherboard will have to be replaced.

Replace memory

If it is determined the memory in the computer is bad we suggest that you replace it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Well, I have renewed the cmos battery, taken out the memory stick and cleaned it, also while the side was off I ran  the hoover over everything using the soft brush attachment so that there were no traces of dust anywhere.

To answer your query Dashing star concerning the CMOS  battery, this was a tip from my oldest son who is an IT consultant and whether right or wrong I just added his suggestion to the pot.

Still no change so back to the drawing board :headscratch:

Tip, never use a hoover to clean out the inside of a computer, this because they produce static electricity (as does dust on its own) which can short out one or more of your hardware components.

How many beeps do you get if you remove the memory and start up the computer.

How many sticks of Ram do you have.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you The old Submariner, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
✓  Best Answer

Many thanks to all members that took the time and trouble to offer their advice.  Although the problem hasn't been sorted, I am going to put it on the back burner for a while as everything seems to be running okay.  Not only that but my wife has found new ways to spend our time and cash by decorating, so  time and cash are going to be tight and I'm certainly not going to take it to a Pc doctor who can rip my holes in my wallet!

Regards to all

Graham 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

Return here at any time to pick this up, if we do not hear back from you we can mark the thread as resolved if that ok with yourself.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

:thumbsup: Update is Acknowledged!

Regards