Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Game Room 4k Monitor/1080p TV Dual Display Issue

• Please log in to reply

wolfesbu

wolfesbu

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

I am looking to upgrade my game room set up by purchasing a 4k monitor.  I would like to hook my PC up to the 4k monitor as well as the big screen TV at 1080p. I do not actually want to use both displays simultaneously, but just want to clone the output to the TV if I decide to use that.  I have never used a multi display set up but have been reading about it and have found out when cloning, you need to use the same resolution, it will not adjust to the display.  Are there any simple solutions to this?  I would like to simply be able to switch over to the TV to game or watch media. Thank you for any help!

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello,

Did you use onboard graphics or external graphics in your pc?

wolfesbu

wolfesbu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I have a GTX 970, I do not plan to game at 4k, except for a few games that my card may be able to run at that resolution.  So most gaming will be at 1080p.  I am not sure how if that would allow me to just clone the display and the tv would pick up the signal, because it would then be at 1080p?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Not done this myself, so may need to try different methods.  

Update your GPU drivers, NB. Do not use Beta ones, > http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Your TV connected via HDMI, your monitor connected via DP.

Try this, then post back, > https://www2.owens.edu/faq/entry/68/

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Did you manage to get your TV and monitor working.   An update would be appreciated, please let us know the solutions as this may help others with a similar issue.

Thanks.