Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Suggestion...And a big Thank YOU

• Please log in to reply

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
:tazz: ;) ;) THANK YOU GEEKS TO GO :tazz: ;) :)

For many reasons:

1) wonderful site
2) wonderful administrators, moderators and staff.
3) for the opportunity to ask anything related to computers and 99.9999% of the time have real, true and working answers.

But i'd like to make one little suggestion.

Couldn't someone add the option that each user can delete his/her own post.

Obviously not a post thats inbetween a topic. But like, if its the last post you can delete it. Also on the rules it says that you shouldn't make two of the same topics, but topics that went far down on the list on other pages are unlikley answered. I know the staff searches for unanswered topics, but normal members generally don't. So here is my suggestion:

Allow users to delete their own posts but only if its the last post on the topic. And allow users to delete their own topics but only if they are unanswered topics.

I know its possible... but maybe the ultra-genius (no joke) admin has a reason why not to let users to that, and if there is one, then i won't complain. :ph34r:

Byebye!

- Maverick

Edited by MaverickSidewinder, 14 June 2005 - 06:42 AM.

Advertisements

unknownperhaps

unknownperhaps

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Actually that is a great suggestions ;) I back that up :tazz: even though me backing it up doesnt really help but yea...all the way!

Edited by unknownperhaps, 14 June 2005 - 10:52 AM.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Thanks for backing me up! ;)

I just thought that this idea could be useful for people who for example have an old unanswered hijackthislog and could delete the topic and make a new one. You guys might say:

Edit the old one with a new hijack this log. Well i could, but that wouldn't make the topic go to the top, and to make it go to the top i would have to bump, which goes against the forum rules.

Its a deadend road as you see.

Thanks again unknownperhaps for backing me!

:tazz:

- Maverick

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Duplicate topics do create a lot of administrative work, and like all forums we wish we wouldn't have to worry about them. However, allowing people to delete topics doesn't mean they will, and I am just against deleting topics in general.

A friend of mine, and someone who's opinion I respect, is always suggesting we delete posts instead of editing them. He thinks it makes for a cleaner site. I agree that it does, but it's just a personal philosophy of mine that posts should not be deleted. We do edit inappropriate content, and spam. But it's VERY rare that we delete a post or topic. I think an electronic bulletin board (or forum) should be an archive of all the posts made on it -- good and bad.

When posts are deleted, invariably topics like "why was my post deleted?" start popping up. Then messages like, "don't question the authority of a mod or you'll be banned". We don't have anything to hide, and criticisms are an opportunity to improve.

Staff, mods, and admins as a general rule do work from the oldest topics forward, and we have other tools that we use to try and catch topics that may have been missed. Of course, there are exceptions to this, and if a post is 5 days old and has no reply, a post can be made in this thread, and usually get an answer with hours.

A long-winded answer, but we do give a lot of consideration to subjects like this, and I hope our reasoning makes sense.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I understand and agree to what you say.

But it would also make much less work for the admins and mods. Ex: One time when i just started out i put a programming question in the windows xp. And i would've liked to delete it and make it in the programming section but all i could do was copy and paste it, leave it there and wait for an admin or mod to close it.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You could have just added a post requesting it be moved, or PM an admin or moderator with the request. :tazz:

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
I closed it for you after not too long :tazz:

If users could delete posts, they could abuse that privelage greatly and use it to delete their old topic and start a similar one... so it bumps it and increases their post count. We give the users the opportunity to edit their post, or add a reply if they'd like to add anything ;)

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I see...

Ok...

:tazz: I surrender ;)

You guys got me :tazz:

Keep the posts! ;)