Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to open the Outlook Window. The set of folders could not be ope

Best Answer archiepalmer , 21 July 2015 - 10:41 AM

You can apply next 5 steps or make use of http://www.ost.openfiletool.com/ OST Open File Tool  1. Open Microsoft Outlook. On the "Tools" menu, select "Email Accounts." Choose "View or Change E... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

arnewank

arnewank

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Have a user that when you try to open outlook you receive the error :

Unable to open the Outlook Window.  The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available

The user has a couple of PST files. Ran SCANPST and the files were repaired but still get the same problem. I looged onto the users machine and was able to open outlook just fine. As a test I tried to open the the users PST files and did so with no problem so it looks like they are not corrupt. 

I renamed his OST file and started outlook with the /resetfolders option but still get the same error. 

When I go to another machine and logon as that user and  try to open outlook I receive the error:

unable to open your default email folders. The file c:\documets and settings\user name\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook.ost is not an offline folder file. 

Any ideas on what else I can try.

OWA works fine for this user.

Advertisements

archiepalmer

archiepalmer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
✓  Best Answer

You can apply next 5 steps or make use of http://www.ost.openfiletool.com/ OST Open File Tool

1. Open Microsoft Outlook. On the "Tools" menu, select "Email Accounts." Choose "View or Change Existing E-mail Accounts," and click "Next."

2. Select the Exchange Server, click "Change" and then click "More Settings." Click "Manually Control Connection State" so that Outlook will start offline the next time it is opened. Click "Work Offline and Use Dial-up Networking" so that it will not try to connect to the server. Close Outlook.

3. Open Outlook again. Select "Work Offline" at the prompt. Select "Services" from the "Tools" menu. The "Services" dialog box will open.

4. Click the "Add" button on the "Services" tab of the "Services" dialog box. Select "Personal Folders" and then click "OK."

5. Enter a name for the folder, and select the Desktop as the location. Click "OK" to select default settings. Drag the "Personal Folder" from the Outlook window to the new folder to move OST files to the personal folder. When the computer syncs with the server, all of the OST files can be copied there.

Edited by archiepalmer, 21 July 2015 - 10:41 AM.