Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

From Pc to stereo system

• Please log in to reply

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

I don't know if I am posting this in the correct forum but I will try anyway.

My problem is this:  My desktop Pc is located in my cellar and my Aiwa music system is located directly above in the lounge.  Like many others I have hundreds and hundreds of CD's which are in cupboards and boxes and I find that I just can't be bothered to rummage through all these to find the disc that I would like to play, so what I would like to do is transfer all my music on to some form of external hard drive which I guess would have to be connected to my Pc, connect my wife's Nexus 7 or my Windows phone in some way to the Pc and be able to see visually all the music that I have and select what I would like to hear and play it.

I suppose it sounds very long winded but the idea came from a friend of mine who has a dedicated server on which he has transferred all his cd's and dvd's and can select what he wants from his TV screen, the only problem with that is that he has spent a lot of serious money on this which I can not hope to copy unless the lottery should be kind to me.

If anyone reading this has any ideas on how I can do this without spending a king's ransom I would be very grateful.

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Are you more interested in being able to access these files from any device on the network?  Or do you want to play the music from your TV?

If your PC downstairs is running Vista or 7+, just put your files into a Library (click here for search results):

The libraries feature in Windows 7 provides a central place to manage files that are located in multiple locations throughout your computer.
Instead of clicking through a bunch of directories to find the files you need, including them in a library makes for quicker access.

If you want to be like your friend, and you have a Smart TV, you should be able to simply put all the files onto a jumpdrive and plug it into the TV.  This would not allow you to bring up those files on other mobile devices, though (like the Library solution first mentioned).

Good luck!

Edited by Fusionbomb, 21 July 2015 - 08:18 AM.