Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using a hard drive as a base for a second operating system

Ubuntu Ubuntu+Windows

Best Answer SecurityGuy , 22 July 2015 - 03:21 AM

Hello omar21, You can find how to install Windows after Ubuntu (dual boot) in Ubuntu documentation. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

omar21

omar21

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,

I have Ubunutu on my laptop, and for many reasons i need to have a windows without touching my original operating system (ubuntu), so i am asking if is it possible to use an external hard drive as a base or a drive for the windows ? and if this is possible how can i do it?

Thanks,

And sorry for my confusing way in asking

Edited by omar21, 21 July 2015 - 07:36 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

typically no. you can't generally run windows off of an external hard drive.

omar21

omar21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

typically no. you can't generally run windows off of an external hard drive.

Thanks for replying,

but do you have any other idea on how can i have windows with ubuntu on the same pc without using virtual machine ?

SecurityGuy

SecurityGuy

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
✓  Best Answer
Hello omar21,

You can find how to install Windows after Ubuntu (dual boot) in Ubuntu documentation.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If you have an external usb hard drive you can install windows on that hard drive. Depending on your motherboard you can press a key that will bring up the boot menu at start up and there you can choose from which media you want to boot from. It is also posible to install windows on a flash drive but that is a bit more tricky.

installing the OS on a USB hard drive is typically not actually possible. you'd have to follow the same steps as the flash drive method you mention. and basically making windows into a live USB in either case.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

you may note I said TYPICALLY not possible...there are ways to do just about anything...but the steps required to install windows on a USB hard drive and have the system boot to it...are....what you'd call....not worth the trouble when you can just dual boot. or run a VM and get the same effects.