Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Card Going Bad?

• Please log in to reply

XpL0d3r

XpL0d3r

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580

Windows 8.1 x64

Intel Centrino N-2200

Netgear N600 Router

Issue is that the wireless connection comes and goes. I'm no more than 7 feet from my router. No other devices on the network have any issues at all, including 2 other laptops, a desktop, and Mac Mini all also connectiong via WiFi. Xbox One and a media server are wired.

When this happens, I can sometimes ping the router.. see screenshot:

wat.png

Driver is of the latest version from Intel's website. Same with the BIOS from Lenovo's site. I can really only replace this card with one of the same because of a stupid whitelist of the wireless cards in the BIOS (dumb). I've tried toggling the "turn this device off to save power" checkbox on and off, no help there.

If I have to replace the card I will, just getting other opinions. FWIW, I upgraded to an SSD and completely reinstalled Windows, but no change to the behavior of the wireless card.

Thanks

Edited by XpL0d3r, 21 July 2015 - 06:50 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Can't you use a USB WIFI adapter?   This is what I use on my Lenovo:   Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello RKinner,

As i did not note this question, i answered to the same question posted by the same person here.

Please close that thread i answered or delete that.... As it creates confusion with multiple threads..

Thanks and Regards

XpL0d3r

XpL0d3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Can't you use a USB WIFI adapter?   This is what I use on my Lenovo:   Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter

I mean, I could, but that doesn't answer my original question on whether this card is faulty or not, and if so, what causes this to happen?

I will look into wifi adapter cards in the mean time.

EDIT: Went ahead and purchased this:

http://www.amazon.co...i_detailpages00

Great reviews, and I rather have 300Mb since I do a lot of transferring to our local media server.

Edited by XpL0d3r, 03 August 2015 - 09:25 AM.

XpL0d3r

XpL0d3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Update: New wifi adapter in, [bleep] internal card disabled. Wifi is much faster than it's ever been on this machine. Satisfied - even if I need a little adapter in there.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Update is appreciated!  :thumbsup: