Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Huge Lag Spikes in Games

• Please log in to reply

quin8484

quin8484

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

I notice stuttering and packet loss sometimes in games but ping in games will remain the same just skipping.

I play on wirless on 2.4G upstairs from a modem/router downstairs. It is a CG3000DV2.

I took off the splitter from the modem to the cable wire and helped a little but someone mentioned the upstream and downstream frequency may be way out of range.

what do you think?

Attached Thumbnails

• stream.png

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

there is a big difference between wired and wireless.  Wireless can introduce latency (lag) which will not show up by doing a ping.  Not an expert on cable modem, but it can certainly cause weird issues.  completely unplugt the modem (cable and power).  let it sit for a few min and then reconnect.  If that doesn't fix the upstream/downstream issue, call your provider and ask them to run a diagnostic. 

BTW, if your modem isn't DOCSIS 3.0, I would ask your provider about  a new modem.  3.0 allows for higher speeds over existing infrastructure that older versions can't support.

try the above and let us know the results and we will see if this fixes the issue or more suggestions are needed.

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

already tried that anymore suggestions? I get 5 out of 5 RSI bars upstairs so must be something else.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

you could try to look at your wireless environment and see if you need to change the channel your router is using. 

http://www.ampedwire.../wifianalytics/

has this been happening recently?  any other issues besides the lag?   Any other users streaming netflix when you game?

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

No other streams. The 2.4 environment is crowded in the area, but the modem switches channels auto if interference is detected.

The thing is I was on 5ghz with an uncrowded channel with a previous router and still the same lag spikes seen on 2.4 or on 5ghz happened the same.

makes me believe it is a cable or wiring problem.

Edited by quin8484, 23 July 2015 - 08:09 PM.

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

solved with restarting modem after removing splitter

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

Glad to hear that.