Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2007: Updating Cross-References Not Working

Best Answer rphox2015 , 27 July 2015 - 12:15 AM

Found the solution: To insert a new heading/section, I placed the cursor at the beginning of the existing heading (Subtopic A) and pressed Enter. This DOES NOT update the cross-... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

rphox2015

rphox2015

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I was under the impression that I could update a cross-reference automatically (unlike hyperlinks) by pressing F9, but it doesn't work.

For example, if I have a cross-reference in Heading 1 to a Heading 2 and insert a new Heading 2 before the existing one, I thought I could press F9 on the cross-reference and it would update the field to the existing Heading 2.

Old:

1. Main Topic

Text with cross-ref (to 1.1, Subtopic A).

1.1 Subtopic A

Text

New

1. Main Topic

Text with cross-ref

1.1, New Subtopic B

Text

1.2, Subtopic A

In this situation if I click F9 on the cross-ref in 1. Main Topic shouldn't it automatically update and adjust to referece Subtopic A (now 1.2)?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

rphox2015

rphox2015

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
✓  Best Answer

Found the solution:

To insert a new heading/section, I placed the cursor at the beginning of the existing heading (Subtopic A) and pressed Enter. This DOES NOT update the cross-ref. Instead, you have to place the cursor at the end of the last para in the section before the location of the new heading and then press Enter. This automatically updates the cross-refs to the existing heading/section.