Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to partition my D drive

C drive partition

• Please log in to reply

panicpeace

panicpeace

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Hello.

So I am trying to change the partitions on my computer. I have almost no space left on my C drive and I cant update Steam. This is terrible.

I did however have lots of space on my D drive. So I tried to free up about half of my D drive into unassigned memory space. I moved a partition.

Then before I tried to add the free space to my C drive someone used my computer. The whole desktop got covered in picture thumbnails and they have no idea how this happened. Here is a picture of what the windows partition wizard looked like. http://imgur.com/Kl7bSrV

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I suggest using AOMEI Partition Assistant.

Since the free space is to the right of the D: drive you need to move D: to the right so the free space is next to C: then expand C: to encompass the free space.

It's pretty simple with AOMEI.

You install and run it.

Make the changes I described then it will reboot your computer and apply the changes before Windows boots so nothing is in use or locked. Shouldn't take too long.

AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Windows Disk Management can expand the system partition, but there must be some unallocated space next to the partition.

When you are unable to make changes to partitions using Disk Management, try partitioning programs.

EASEUS Partition Master (free):
Includes Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy Wizard and Partition Recovery Wizard for Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit). It allows users to Resize/Move Partition, Extend System Drive, Copy Disk & Partition, Merge Partition, Split Partition, Redistribute Free Space, Convert Dynamic Disk, Partition Recovery and more. Be careful, re-sizing partitions is usually safe but errors can happen, and always backup anything important before modifying partitions on your hard drive.
Here is how extend system partition ( C drive) with partition master:  http://www.partition...m-partition.htm

Paragon Partition Manager (free):
A good program for making general changes to hard drive partitions while Windows is running. Create, delete, format, and resize partitions with this program. It can also defragment, check file system integrity, and more. Be careful, re-sizing partitions is usually safe but errors can happen, and always backup anything important before modifying partitions on your hard drive.

Chrunos

Chrunos

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I suggest using AOMEI Partition Assistant.

Since the free space is to the right of the D: drive you need to move D: to the right so the free space is next to C: then expand C: to encompass the free space.

It's pretty simple with AOMEI.

You install and run it.

Make the changes I described then it will reboot your computer and apply the changes before Windows boots so nothing is in use or locked. Shouldn't take too long.

Using AOMEI Partition Assistant, you don't have to move it first, I mean you don't have to manually do the move operation. it can use any unallocated space to extend partition

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Yes you do, the space needs to be next to each other, you can't span across existing allocated space.