Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open mdb file

• Please log in to reply

malteolsen

malteolsen

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a database in mdb format that will not open.  When I try to open the file I get an error:

"The Microsoft Access database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change data at the same time"

I was the only user accessing the database and this occurred after a compact/repair.

Any ideas on how to get the db working again?

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello malteolson   :welcome:,

Did you split the database in front- and backend?

Are you sure you are the only one using, no other users have the database open?

You can check this if there is *.ldb file there, when you are not in the database.

If *.ldb file still exists, delete the file if you have the admin rights, if not ask the IT Department to delete the file for you.

Then make sure you compact/repair immediately after.

Check also this thread for possible solutions:

Error 3197 "The database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time."

kylfederer12345

kylfederer12345

• Pip
  • 2 posts

If you are unable to open it by doublé clicking it or with the help of MS Access, then in that case it can be opened with the help of MS Excel, MDB Viewer Plus, or with the help of Notepad. If you are still unable to open the file then there are chances that the file has become corrupt or damaged, and then, in that case, it can be recovered, with the help of MS Access Repair Tool. Using this software, you can easily open the MDB file. For more information you can visit:

http://msaccess.file...g/open-mdb-file