Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chrome using 100% CPU

• Please log in to reply

csabi

csabi

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello. Can anybody advise me what to do?

On my Asus laptop, 64 bit wind 8 Chrome is using 100% CPU all time, even when I have opened just one window, ex. youtube video is running slow. If I use other programs like Skype or anything, comp runs slow, cannot have a video conversation, once I close skype, Chrome takes the remaining CPU. 

Thank you

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Do you have any Add-ons for Chrome? If yes, remove them and see what  happens.
Otherwise, uninstall Chrome then reinstall if you really want to use it, otherwise try another browser like IE, Firefox, Palemoon, Opera.

See here: How to completely Uninstall & Re-Install Google Chrome

AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Disable Add-Ons, Right-click the title bar or press "Shift-Esc" to open Task Manager in Google Chrome. Click "CPU" to see which task is consuming the most resources. Write down the name of the task if it's a plug-in or extension. Select the process and then click "End Process" to close the task. Open "Settings" from the Chrome menu and then click "Extensions," or type "chrome://plugins" (without quotation marks) into the address bar and then press "Enter," depending on which type of add-on is exhibiting high CPU usage. Locate the appropriate extension or plug-in in the list. Uncheck "Enabled" or click "Disable" to prevent the add-on from running.

Remove all the extension in Google chrome: Sometime one or multiple plugins can be the reason why Google Chrome ends up using a lot of your computers resources . You can use chrome’s extension manager to find out which of the extension is using more resources. Simply select the extension and click on the End process button end it. Restart chrome and if the plugin works normally then the problem is solved, however if the problem still exists then Remove the extension from chrome and reset chrome to set it back to normal .

If it still no work, Reset Google Chrome.

csabi

csabi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you I done all you advise me, and still no change. I reinstall Chrome, and still if I have only one page open, ex. Youtube, and play any random video, goes to 100% and the video is slow. If I open other things like trying to write in Word, or open skype, everything is slow, then obviously Chrome takes less CPU but this mean that it runs even slower until I close other things like Word or Skype, and it takes back the CPU and goes up to 100% again.

Im wondering if there is any problem with my 4 GB Ram,

Win Explorer runs bit better so if Youtube is on, uses 50%70%, but once I’m working on something else it slows down everything.

Ohh and right now youtube on Win Explorer shows Green screen or black screen when Im watching a video. Sound is Ok but this Green and Black screens come randomly, I don’t understand why. 

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Right click on a video and go to settings (flash settings), disable hardware acceleration and see if that fixes it. 

Disable-hardware-acceleration.png