Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network security

• Please log in to reply

CHEESYAPPLES

CHEESYAPPLES

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hey guys well guess what?  My network got hacked and now I need network security.  Any recommendations? 

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Make sure your router isn't vulnerable - some routers cannot be fixed, while with others you just need to disable WPS if enabled (PIN based security) and make sure you're using WPA2 with a strong password (for example a sentence that contains punctuation and numbers). It's also possible that your router has been compromised, so you might want to upgrade its firmware (even if there's no newer version available).There is also a thing called persistent backdoors, which use different chips inside your devices to escape reformats. That's generally pretty advanced stuff, and difficult to get rid of, so your best bet might be trying to somehow get on the hacker's good side. I doubt you're in that much trouble, though - except if you have something very important to hide or somebody hates you a lot.

ThomasBaldwin

ThomasBaldwin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I think key management is one of the key factor in any network security. A proper policy has to be established to address the following issues as these will affect the effectiveness of using encryption.

i) Key length – how long
ii) Key change – how often
iii) Key escrow – to have or not, if yes, how
iv) Key generation – who, how
v) Key distribution – who how

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Unfortunately there is a free program that's allows you to bypass the security on all routers I've tested it on and to my knowledge it hasn't been patched yet and is childs play to use If this is the case as it is pretty widely used in certain group circles atm then you have no defence at all, just lady luck.

I'm not going to name or point anyone in it's direction so don't ask for its details.

Edited by HolyCowZ, 16 September 2015 - 02:50 PM.