Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to transfer over games from one computer to another ?

• Please log in to reply

Tara Nguyen

Tara Nguyen

• Pip
  • 1 posts

So, building my new PC tomorrow, but have been playing on my MacBook Pro dual booting windows 8.1 (holds up surprisingly well). But alas, I have had a large upgrade and was wondering, how can I transfer over my games from my MBP to my new PC. I have a 32GB memory stick and none of my games are over 25GB.

The main reason I want to do this is because my internet speed it not that great, so having my favourite games within a few hours of setting up my new PC would be great.

Both PC's will be running the same OS, and I have about 200GB of games. USB 3.0 should help me out biggrin.gif 

Also, is ther another way to transfer files (ethernet, firewire etc)

thanks!!!

Advertisements

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hi Tara,

Unfortunately, I don't think that you can transfer entire games, or programs from one computer to another. You will need to install the game itself on the other computer, and may be able to transfer temporary files and cache, so you can start where you left. It depends a lot on the game itself, whether you can transfer the files or not.

Your best course of action is to:

1) Obtain installers for the games (CDs, or Installer Files, or if you downloaded them through Steam or Origin, then download Steam or Origin.)

2) Then Install the game (If using Steam or Origin, you should be able to install it from your download history after installing Steam or Origin.)

3) On a per game strategy look for ways (or ask here) to find if you can copy the Temp Files or Cache for that game, such that you would start from where you left off on the other system.)

4) Then play your games.

Do let us know what you plan to do.

Good Luck!