Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade problems

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

philly30

philly30

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

I upgraded last night but soon after there were problems. First live tiles not working. Second 100% disk usage. Third runtimebroker starts using up more and more memory. What is this runtimebroker? tried calling microsoft but talked to 3 different people , one said nothing was wrong...yeah ok, next said virus, next said windwos ten is fine but my desktop apps should be removed and reinstalled.i really need some help

Edited by philly30, 29 July 2015 - 04:51 PM.

Advertisements

sawyer602

sawyer602

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have the disk usage 100% problem, too. Plus CPU usage always around 50%.

After I tried many ways, I found that an application called "MacType tray" is the problem.

I use that software to redraw the font of all text such as file names or those in website.

After I close that software. Problem solved.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday philly30 

Happy to see you solved your problem.  Sorry we did not answer you topic earlier.

​I would like to thank you for for being considerate and posting the solution.

Good luck.  

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

I didn't post any solution but suddenly the problem has stopped. I wish i knew what runtime broker was. Live tiles will still not show, any idea what to do about that?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

After I close that software. Problem solved.

Looks like I misunderstood.

Runtime Broker is part of Windows, causing problems for some users, even of W10.   Reasonable explanation, > http://www.groovypost.com/howto/runtimebroker-exe-process-windows-8-running/ 

For many users, Third Party applications, especially Anti Virus is the main cause.   Try Disabling your Anti Virus and switch to Windows own, restart the system and monitor CPU usage.   Does this also help with the Tiles problem? 

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Only have windows defender, suddnely since last night the problem stopped, But i still have no live tiles since upgrading and microsft tech help is terrible, they do nothing

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

There are fixes for tTiles problems for W8.1 and would be reluctant to apply them to W10.   As yet only a couple of posting like yours on the Net and no solutions.

I will keep looking, but at the moment am unable to help you.

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Thanks for keeping an eye out, I have tried every fix but all were for 8.1 and none worked. Even the idiot techs at microsoft told me to run t he app troubleshooter but then i get a message saying it won't run on windwos 10. You would think they would know that

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

See here: How to Turn Live Tiles On or Off for Apps on Start in Windows 10

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

My live tiles were already set to on

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

FIXED IT!! apparently it is a problem with the custom scaling. i had mine set at 105%, put it back to 100% and then livde tiles worked, also some things that were slightly blurry are no longer, downside is thnigs are a bit smaller

Edited by philly30, 01 August 2015 - 03:54 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for giving the fix, one to add to a growing list. 

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Yeah hope it can help someone else but even though they are working , most won't update unless i open them, seems to defeat the purpose of a live tile. Not sure how to get them to update without opening the App

Edited by philly30, 02 August 2015 - 02:03 PM.