Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsers Use Too Much Memory, CPU, Near or Real Crash About Every Hour

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

brucewhain

brucewhain

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

This has only occurred (this time around, last was in 2012) since I moved here two months ago and got the internet service from a well known reputable company. It seems to me they employ means to slow down the connection if they think you're using too much bandwidth. It's mostly the browsers. I removed some malware about a month ago using Malware Bytes and whatever I could find on the internet but it did not cure the excessive memory, CPU usage and near or actual crashes. So I did a restore from the restore partition, adding to the problem, since on trying to save my files in OneDrive they wouldn't upload for hours and some things are missing or corrrupt. It has been time consuming to restore what is possible to restore, and most computer time in the past month and a half has been given over to trying to get the computer to work the way it did, to no avail. There is still a severe limitation on computing facility versus before.

Also, since using the restore partition, the browser IE is the wrong version and incompatible with many websites. I love IE and save a lot of favicons to organize my browsing, topics, records, but the prescribed IE 11 won't install, and another version found around the internet (IE 9) exhibited problems so I uninstalled it. Think this kind of thing could be avoided with System Restore but can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to work reliably.

Forgot to say: There is a taskeng.exe thing that's been flashing across the screen lately, and one of my programs can't locate its file in AppData with long string of numbers, though the error refers to the same path and numbered file. Finally tried reinstalling but it didn't help.

Attached Files

Edited by brucewhain, 30 July 2015 - 03:17 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
When you try to install IE11 what error do you get ?

CAUTION : This fix is only valid for this specific machine, using it on another may break your computer

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

CreateRestorePoint:
ProxyEnable: [S-1-5-21-3579989564-3160442616-3971763072-1001] => Internet Explorer proxy is enabled.
ProxyServer: [S-1-5-21-3579989564-3160442616-3971763072-1001] => http=127.0.0.1:49181;https=127.0.0.1:49181;
BHO-x32: No Name -> {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} -> No File
Toolbar: HKU\S-1-5-21-3579989564-3160442616-3971763072-1001 -> No Name - {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - No File
FF ExtraCheck: C:\Program Files (x86)\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox-branding.js [2015-07-12]
FF ExtraCheck: C:\Program Files (x86)\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox-l10n.js [2015-07-12]
FF ExtraCheck: C:\Program Files (x86)\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\firefox.js [2015-07-12]
FF ExtraCheck: C:\Program Files (x86)\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\reporter.js [2015-07-12]
2015-07-27 18:36 - 2015-07-27 18:36 - 00000064 _____ C:\Users\brucewhain\AppData\Local\7945de24440670a63697098149c2a527
Task: {24AFC005-F719-45AA-BDB4-32E00871BF26} - System32\Tasks\Validate Installation => C:\Program Files (x86)\user extensions\updater.exe [2015-07-28] () <==== ATTENTION
Task: {66B23802-ABF2-46F7-8E02-96503A3C73C1} - System32\Tasks\Check Updates => C:\Program Files (x86)\user extensions\updater.exe [2015-07-28] () <==== ATTENTION
Task: {9F2F3A7B-A8F1-4642-9632-D6DF0DB7A80E} - System32\Tasks\GeniusBox => cmd.exe /C start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\user extensions\client.exe" <==== ATTENTION
C:\Program Files (x86)\user extensions
RemoveProxy:
EmptyTemp:
CMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusers

Save this as fixlist.txt, in the same location as FRST.exe
FRSTfix.JPG
Run FRST and press Fix
On completion a log will be generated please post that

THEN

Download aswMBR.exe ( 4.5mb ) to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.
You may be offered the option of using virtualisation, accept that
When it offers to download the virus database allow that as well
Click the "Scan" button to start scan

AswMBR%20scan.JPG

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

brucewhain

brucewhain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Well thanks, that sure fixed IE. Have had the older version since about July 12. Can't remember what the error box said when I tried to install three or four time from the same Microsoft page used successfully today. If had thought to try before running FRST164 the second time we'd know. Here are the two log files.

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you try to install IE11 after this please

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop
  • Double-click mbam-setup-version.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a check-mark is placed next to the following:
    • Ensure that "Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium" is unchecked
    • Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, you will be prompted to download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Scan now. Or select the Threat Scan from the Scan menu.
  • When the scan is complete , make sure that everything is set to "Quarantine", and click Apply Actions.
  • Reboot your computer if prompted.
Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediatly.

To access logs from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0:

mbamlogs.JPG

1.Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0
2.Click History > Application Logs
3.Double-click the log you would like to open

Scan Logs record detections from manual scans, including threats detected and the actions taken against them

To save a Scan Log:

1.Open the log file you would like to save
2.Click Export
3.Choose to export to a .txt
4.Choose a folder to save the log file in, then click Save
5.Post that log here

brucewhain

brucewhain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Sorry I didn't make myself clear in the last post: Internet Explorer 11 was successfully installed yesterday, and seems to be working fine.

Here is Scan Log from MalwareBytes.

Attached Files

Edited by brucewhain, 01 August 2015 - 01:57 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Nice, how is the computer behaving now ?

brucewhain

brucewhain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Well it seems ok now. Think the problem with memory and CPU use is probably at least partially a symptom of my provider's conserving bandwidth by using some kind of contrived limiting protocol. In order to read the news I used to go to a consolidator, then open several new tabs depending on what I wanted to read. (On my old computer having way less computing resources versus this one I used to open 40 pages at a time and just leave them there, no problem, but that was a long time ago.) When the graphic ads and vids load slow it creates a problem. But it was never very serious before I moved here two months ago and got this  internet provider. If it's only one page it's good and quick. But three or four and you've got a problem. With the old IE (and probably this one too) you've got a real problem if you want to end the process because as soon as you close it in task manager it opens the page right back up again. This kind of stuff is hard on my aging computer.

I think the computer is working right. (Windows Satisfaction Index is same as it's ever been.)

Still would like advice on how to backup the restore partition on my hard drive to DVD (and can the computer run the DVD to format a new disk if it turns out I need one?)

Also am hoping I can get System Restore to work reliably:

Both before and after restoring from the hard drive (due to inability to find or restore from a useable restore point) went to great lengths to read up on setting the timing of creating restore points, making enough disk space available and setting the program to run in Services Manager. (There's ten Gigs for the volumes set to copy as I recall.) But when you go to System Restore it has done something completely different, and then if you attempt to do a Restore from one of the points it has created it doesn't work. Think System Restore could be a great aid in avoiding a lot of problems, if it would only work.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
A better option to system restore would be to make a disc image, this works better with an external hard drive..  Although, these are relatively cheap now  http://www.amazon.co... drive portable

This is the free imaging software I use http://www.geekstogo...t-imaging-tool/

Another addition that would help would be another 2Gb of RAM, again relatively cheap and easy to fit. Use the system scanner here to see how much your system can take and the sort of price http://uk.crucial.co.../en/memory-info

Let me know your thoughts on this

brucewhain

brucewhain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Sorry for the delay... At approx. 10% of my monthly income terra-bytes aren't considered to be in the realm of possibility right now since will be owing the loan shark some more later this mo.again.

Is there a reason other than the possibility of damaging the laser dvd why an external hard drive is considered better?

Also am concerned about not knowing what to do once I have an HD with (assumed) proper physical installation but no formatting, then find I don't know the next step. Is there a place with clear, comprehensive - but not cryptic - instructions where they define terms, etc. like high school expository writing?

It's too bad System Restore is - judging from all the queries on the internet coming from people who can't get it to work - pretty much finished. Seems that was the one a big advantage of XP when it came out.

Of course, guess could always ask Geeks to Go more questions. Have a "good" loan shark and this guy has offered a longer-term loan at reduced (fr. 100%) interest starting later this mo. that will set me in good stead. This by way of apologies for not being able to contribute now. I owe money and go hungry, that's why.

Thanks again for getting it in order. That problem with Internet Explorer is really debilitating. I hope IE continues to be made for a while. As a hoarder of favicons in folder after titled folder... Remember favicons with big visual previews in Windows 2000, with everything open and accessible on the taskbar where it belongs so you don't have to click something special to get the desktop, and those instruction! THAT'S how to write instructions! There was an easier one-click means of getting favicon to desktop at that time too seems to me... Best, Bruce

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
DVD's are as good it is just that unless you get the right ones they are not re-usable and you use 2 every time. But, it was just a suggestion

IE is still in windows 10... That is what I am using now :)

As you have windows 7 then a free upgrade to windows 10 is available to you .. Further info if required :) And that has a restore option built in

Rather than relying on system image backups, most people should just use the Reset this PC feature to restore your computer to its default operating system state. This also replaces the need to ever reinstall Windows from scratch using an installer DVD or USB drive just tell Windows 10 to reset your PC and itll go back to its factory default settings.

http://www.howtogeek...recovery-tools/

Any outstanding problems remaining ?

Advertisements

brucewhain

brucewhain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

No, I think everything's in order. Thanks again for helping me with this stubborn issue. I keep track of people who have helped - going back to 2008 now, and still hope soon be able to pay them back in some way. You guys have been added to the list! B.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
We aim to please :)

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Remove tools

Download and run Delfix
Select the options as shown
delfix.JPG

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Malwarebytes

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Unchecky

Click on the link above to be taken to Unchecky.com
click the very large Download button.
click Save
Click Open folder
Right click on the Unchecky_setup and choose to Run as Administrator
Once open click the Install button.
Then click on Finish
Unchecky is now installed and will help you keep unwanted check boxes unchecked, this is a fire and forget programme ;)

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide Best security practices Keep safe :wave:

brucewhain

brucewhain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

It's a good thing you keep these things open so long I guess, because now I'm finding I can't copy and paste in certain instances in internet explorer. Not quite sure what situation causes this, maybe it's that it's impossible to copy and paste on any website at any time. Might be. This is sort of debilitating.

Also, the Out-of-Date ActiveX thing is starting to happen quite a bit. Now when it happens the error message at bottom doesn't even explain itself, all it says is "What's the Risk?". Then you click it and it opens a page, and you find its the ActiveX problem. But the instructions on the page it opens are incorrect, referring to some band - maybe the interactive one across the top I've seen - which does not obtain in this instance. So there's no way to remedy the problem that I can see, assuming the idea is to update ActiveX on the browser. Can't figure it out. And don't want to do it wrong. Really, they go too far.

(Just copied and pasted the above to notepad, so it seems to work on this page. Have of course looked at several internet conversations about this topic that  offer no solution. This problem occurs on one forum I post in sometimes, among other instances I can't remember.)

Edited by brucewhain, 05 August 2015 - 05:01 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK a quick and dirty solution :)

Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced tab
Click Reset at the bottom and then try IE again... Has the error gone ?

Capture.PNG

brucewhain

brucewhain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I haven't touched the settings so expect they're at default but am not inclined to find out. One doesn't know what one had in terms of properly working IE9 for several years - till it's gone. Certain pages don't load right and expect this is more the result of their or my provider's foibles than anything else. Short of hiring a private administrator for my personal laptop - which is not in the stars - will have to get used to alternate-browser-work-arounds, etc., it seems to me. On Bloomberg this morning IE was taking 1,000,000 K's of RAM for one iteration. Was able to phase out of several applications gradually then finally close & will remember to use firefox or Chrome when it comes to Bloomberg. 

2:30 EDT. Have now made alterations according to "Adjust ActiveX Settings in Interent Explorer found here: http://windows.micro...#ie=ie-11-win-7 .

Think Bloomberg.com is working better (though it's difficult for me to tell what causes the heavy computing demands when it occurs) and it may be it has to be allowed to do what it wants in order to have it do so quickly. (Before noticed there were a few things that didn't load, so this is my theory.)

Edited by brucewhain, 05 August 2015 - 12:26 PM.