Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compress drive to save disk space?

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Re a 6 year old desktop pc with XP ---  I would appreciate advice on the “Compress drive to save disk space” option .

I have only 5GB of free space on my 35GB hard drive. How much additional free space would I likely pick up by compressing my drive? What are the downsides of  compressing? I assume the process is not reversible, right?

Thanks.  ..... batpark

Advertisements

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hi batpark,

If you use the "Compress drive to save disk space" option, you might be able to save around 5~10% of your existing space (in your case, about 2GB.) However your mileage might vary based on what files are present. For example, a lot of system files, or a lot of video files that's already compressed, a lot of zip files, etc.

However, do keep in mind that your performance would degrade considerably, as every file that has been compressed, needs to be uncompressed before opening, and is therefore only recommended for systems that you rarely use.

Hope this Helps.

Good Luck!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Get a larger hard drive or move to a newer computer. XP is getting a bit long in the tooth so to speak.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

ztruker: Thanks. I hear you and will likely be going that way.

markkassery: Thanks for the explanation.

.... batpark