Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading CPU on an older Mobo

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Hey guys, one of my systems at our business has been running really slow (quite frankly, it has always been slow).  It being our central PC, I have decided to do a ram and CPU upgrade since I noticed the parts were only about $50.

I'm running XP.  2gig ram arrived from Amazon for $7 and the system feels noticeably faster.

The mobo is a foxconn 661fx7mf-s.  I bought a Pentium D 935 (dual-core).  Officially, all research shows the CPU is not supported.  I jumped the gun when I saw it supported LGA775 and didn't notice it specifically noted only Pentium 4 support.  For $17.99, I am not too worried.  But I am going to try it anyway.  The mobo runs a sis661fx chipset and similar boards do support this CPU.

I know the guy who originally built this PC went pretty budget with it so I am hoping this is just an earlier model or something since it uses the same chipset.

My real question is, is there is a chance it will be supported?

If anything, the current fan runs way to fast and loud.  So I'm hoping this new heatsink/fan will do a better job at keeping the CPU cool.

Edited by neilp4453, 31 July 2015 - 09:46 PM.

Advertisements