Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan/Cpu/Gpu and MSI Afterburner (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Soo.. I heard that the software MSI Afterburner can be used to control Fan speed for the GPU (ATI AMD Radeon HD 7570 2gb 800Mhz)

I used the Define user setting control thing, to increase the Fan's speed to lower the temperature on my Gpu, It did lower it by approximately 15 Celsius, But at the cost that my Fan started becoming louder, I do know that it is no cause for alarm because it gets a little louder.

But it also increases power usage? Is it by a lot or no noticable amount, because i know if the power supply starts using more, it gets warmer, And eventually if it gets too warm it'll start smelling burnt (which i assume is a horribly bad thing)

Should i be worried, should i stop using the software, I'd like some advice and tips/tricks to make my computer run smoother plus quieter  

Here's a thumbnail to show you what it looks like when the setting HAS been used, but turned off. somehow the temp stays around this after that.

Afterburner.png

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:  TheZorcs,

Can you let us know the brand and model name or number of the PSU and computer case + how many internal cooling fans there are.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Fan Speed test thing.png

After running this program, and managed to take a screenshot of it. 

My explorer.exe crashed. and my computer had some weird crazy Freeze lag no idea what that was all about.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Also i don't know much about the PSU, nor the case. It's a factory built machine that i don't really know terribly much about. If i could get help with finding out what everything's called and such, that'd be great!

Edit, managed to find the site where i bought my machine!

Case: Tower, Width 165.00 mm Height 368 mm, Depth 389 (idk if this is needed)

I don't know The model of the PSU, however it is 300 Watts

Edited by TheZorcs, 01 August 2015 - 06:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
My explorer.exe crashed. and my computer had some weird crazy Freeze lag no idea what that was all about.

Possibly a coincidence, Speedfan does not put the computer under any load + I note that the CPU usage is high for a computer that is also not under any load.

Speedfan is not showing us all of the information that we need so please provide the previously requested HWMonitor screenshot.

Edit, managed to find the site where i bought my machine!

Can you post a link for us.

In addition to the above, the HD 7570 is only an entry level video card suitable for the most basic of games and is possibly three or more years old, what is the computer primarily used for and is the increase in the temps and subsequent need for the increase in fan speed only when being used for the said conditions.

NB: Good to see that you are aware how to use the Edit tab, double or multiple posts are not advisable as it can lead to information being overlooked if a thread has more than one page.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

hw monitor 1.png

hw monitor 2.png

Alright. here are the pictures. couldn't fit everything into one picture. so i had to take 2. hope this gives you enough info :)

what i would like to know is. should i open up my computer, buy some thermal paste and replace it on stuff?

or is there anything else i can do.i wanna make sure whatever it is i do with my computer, is going to be safe and not cause harm to it.

Edit: Well.. My computer was sort of made for gaming in terms of not too too heavy of games. I just find my GPU gets quite hot, aswell as my CPU, The CPU can reach somewhere between 80 and 95 C, while the gpu goes around 75-85. Both are too high from what i know. I don't know though. my computer isn't a beast by any means. it can run games like League of Legends just fine. but the temperature is still going up above 80 on the GPU even on League of legends.

And regarding the link ( Thought i'd add more info about the machine i'm using ), it's all in Swedish, so i don't know wether or not you can read that.  as i bought the computer from that specific site. But i suppose i can post the link anyway. I don't know how much it'll help you though :/

Here's the link: https://www.netonnet...eo/178219.3012/

I hope it helps. hehe.

Edited by TheZorcs, 02 August 2015 - 03:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
HWMonitor reports that your CPU is overheating, this may be an inaccurate report as the maximum safe operating temperature of the A10 5700 is 71.3°C and so the MBs thermal sensor should shut the system down if that temperature is exceeded, one explanation as to why the system has not shut down is that the MBs thermal sensor has been altered or disabled in the BIOS, this is common when overclocking.

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Thanks for the link  :thumbsup:

Regardless of the outcome here I strongly suggest that you replace the present 300W PSU.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you TheZorcs, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hello, i'm terribly sorry for not responding back! I had massive technical issues with my computer,

First of all. The computer i was on, that had the issues it had. Is no longer functioning. As the GPU had gone up to 110 C, and i was forced to not use it anymore. The fan was making very weird sounds and crackling somehow. so i can only assume the GPU fan gave up.. and regarding the Temperature of the CPU on that PC, It's been at 90 C and been just fine. never had any issues with it, I've even livestreamed and not noticed any problems. oddly enough.

Now i'm currently on a new system. (my brother was kind enough to let me use his old PC)

I don't know if this pc has any problems. Tho i do know that if the GPU's temperature on this one goes to around 78 C, The fan of the GPU gets quite loud. and the table the computer is standing on starts vibrating, is this a good or a bad sign? It's been like this for quite some time. Tho never really had any issues. I guess (?) that sounds doesn't always mean bad things are about to happen?

Again, sorry for not responding.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hello, i'm terribly sorry for not responding back! I had massive technical issues with my computer,

First of all. The computer i was on, that had the issues it had. Is no longer functioning. As the GPU had gone up to 110 C, and i was forced to not use it anymore. The fan was making very weird sounds and crackling somehow. so i can only assume the GPU fan gave up.. and regarding the Temperature of the CPU on that PC, It's been at 90 C and been just fine. never had any issues with it, I've even livestreamed and not noticed any problems. oddly enough.

Now i'm currently on a new system. (my brother was kind enough to let me use his old PC)

I don't know if this pc has any problems. Tho i do know that if the GPU's temperature on this one goes to around 78 C, The fan of the GPU gets quite loud. and the table the computer is standing on starts vibrating, is this a good or a bad sign? It's been like this for quite some time. Tho never really had any issues. I guess (?) that sounds doesn't always mean bad things are about to happen?

Again, sorry for not responding.

HWMonitor reports that your CPU is overheating, this may be an inaccurate report as the maximum safe operating temperature of the A10 5700 is 71.3°C and so the MBs thermal sensor should shut the system down if that temperature is exceeded, one explanation as to why the system has not shut down is that the MBs thermal sensor has been altered or disabled in the BIOS, this is common when overclocking.

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Thanks for the link  :thumbsup:

Regardless of the outcome here I strongly suggest that you replace the present 300W PSU.

Also regarding the bios stuff, I have not changed any settings what so ever. I only heard that AMD components can handle up to 100 degrees fairly well. with no "Major" issues.

Friend of mine thought that my Fan died, because of a short circuit in the PSU (i find that makes no sense) If there was a short circuit in the PSU, the PC would turn off, would it not?

EDIT: Ooops! I messed up really badly by positing 2 posts, I never used the Quote reply so i didn't know fully if it was gonna allow me to edit in the quote or not. Seems like it didn't. Apologies!

Edited by TheZorcs, 12 August 2015 - 04:17 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks for the update TheZorcs  :thumbsup:

regarding the Temperature of the CPU on that PC, It's been at 90 C and been just fine.

Also regarding the bios stuff, I have not changed any settings what so ever. I only heard that AMD components can handle up to 100 degrees fairly well. with no "Major" issues.

Not sure how the readings were obtained but if they are accurate you are fortunate that the CPU has not fried, the MBs thermal sensor should be shutting the system down as soon as the CPU temp gets to 71.3°C and the fact that it is not suggests that the settings have been changed in the BIOS somehow, has anyone else been tinkering with the computer.

Full CPU specs here

Friend of mine thought that my Fan died, because of a short circuit in the PSU (i find that makes no sense) If there was a short circuit in the PSU, the PC would turn off, would it not?

A faulty PSU can be responsible for all sorts of problems but a short in the PSU itself would result in one or more of the following, a popping sound, a popping sound and an acrid burned smell, a fizz/crackle sound, a fizz/crackle sound accompanied by an acrid burned smell and no audible noise but the computer fails to start and there is an acrid burned smell from the PSU, the latter normally happens after the computer has been shut down for the night and there is no one around to hear any of the aforementioned noises.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I didn't have any problems with that, And i did not know that the CPU couldn't, go above 71.3 C, tho when it's been above that during gaming overall.. never had any bad smells or anything coming from the PC, i never recall hearing any Crackle sounds any other indications of something breaking. it ran just fine.

until i heard my Fan for the GPU working like crazy and it made some rattling noise, and then look at MSI afterburner and noticed that the GPU temperature was at 110 C, that's when i knew something was very wrong. The PC is not being used anymore as of 2 reasons: I have a new one.(My brother's old one), And that the GPU nearly fried. And i don't wanna risk it frying.

However i am a little concerned for this PC that my brother let me use. It has a Nvidia GTX 660, And the fan for it, gets really loud when the GPU's temp reaches around 75 ish. 

I do not know if that is a bad thing or not..  Perhaps you know if there's any issues, anything i need to look out for

The GPU's temperature runs around 44-50 on Standby. not watching any videos or anything at all that uses any GPU power, the base clock is all the time at 324 MHz, aswell as the Memory clock. Also at 324 MHz

http://puu.sh/jzYBy/5bfbaa8438.png<---- Specs for the PC (Screenshot taken from Speccy) (Puu.sh Is safe, if you're curious, i use it all the time)

Let me know if i shall add additional information.

oh one more thing. when the fan speed goes up.(Because the GPU is getting hotter) , the fan is infact vibrating the entire table. It's very uncomfortable.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

It is important that we only discuss one computer issue at a time in a single thread so as to avoid any confusion  :thumbsup:

The A10 5700 CPU in your own computer has its own video capability so as long as your MB has the required video port/s you could remove the HD 7570 and continue using the computer.

Let us know if you wish to continue with this thread and your own computers issue/s and please start a new thread for the noisy fan in your brothers computer.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Alright, thanks. good to know :)

I guess that's it for this thread then. Thanks for the help. too bad the computer practically melted. 

Edited by TheZorcs, 13 August 2015 - 07:45 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome  :)

What about my suggestion;

The A10 5700 CPU in your own computer has its own video capability so as long as your MB has the required video port/s you could remove the HD 7570 and continue using the computer.