Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer turns on than immediately shuts off

• Please log in to reply

RyanTzb

RyanTzb

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi, my name is Ryan, recently I do not know what happened but when I wake up and turn on my computer, it turns on for awhile and than shuts off immediately. Pressing the power button again does not work. The only way is to switch off the PSU and try again, however, no matter how many times I tried, the results stay the same. 

More information:
Presume today is 1st August 2015, 1/8/2015. I woke up and switch on my computer, everything is fine through out the day, did some web browsing, gaming, work, and what not. Everything is working fine, im just having fun with my friends playing some League of legends. All is fun and all but soon we have to go to bed, maybe around 1 - 2am. As usual, I shut down my computer normally and then went to bed.

Next day 2nd August 2015, 2/8/2015. I woke up and attempted to switch on my computer, thats when the problem occurs. the power led lights up, the case fan starts spinning, but in just 1 or 2 seconds, everything stops. The power led is no longer lighting up, and the fan is slowly coming to a stop. I tried to boot up my computer again by pressing the power button but nothing is responding, it was as if the computer died. So I switched off the main socket/ the power supply and waited for awhile. After about 1 minute, I tried again. The same problem occurs, the power led lights up, the case fan starts spinning, but in just 1 or 2 seconds, everything stops. The power led is no longer lighting up, and the fan is slowly coming to a stop.
I thought to myself, just give it some time before trying again so I went outside for breakfast and came home at around noon. I tried booting up my computer again and the same problem occurs.
After a few days of searching up google with my phone, many say that its best to breadboard your computer to see which part is causing the problem thus I did that. I removed everything the RAM, the GPU, the HDD, the ODD, the heatsink, the case fans, the mobo, the PSU but not the CPU as its quite a fragile component thus I want to avoid interaction as much as possible.
I removed everything and placed them on the floor before doing some cleaning. After cleaning, I reinstalled the mobo (with the CPU still in it), reinstalled the heatsink, and reinstalled the PSU, connecting my power switch and led switches appropriately and tried to boot up my computer again, this time, taking a video. This is what happened: https://vid.me/gq7Z (A)https://vid.me/4DpW (B)

Video A shows what happens to my cpu/ heatsink fan when I attempt to boot up my computer,

Video B shows what happens to my power led when I attempt to boot up my computer, if you look carefully, you can also see the cpu heatsink fan stop spinning 

Here are my system specs (Had it for 2 years)

Main:

Mobo: Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP

Cpu:    Intel core i3-3220

Psu:    SeaSonic S12II -520W 80 plus Bronze

Rest:

Ram:    Corsair vengeance ddr3 8gb 2x4gb 1600mhz

Gpu:     ASUS GTX550 Ti DirectCU

HDD:    Going to change one once this problem is fixed so it probably should not matter, I had it for 5 years plus already

SSD:     None

Cooler: 2 Stock Case fan (going to change), Gpu's dedicated fan, and a heatsink fan for cpu

Case:   Antec Three hundred two

I kind of breadboard-ed(In a case) my computer isolating only the Mobo,Cpu and the Psu and the same problem occurs.

[Updated] Here are some videos I took:

https://vid.me/gq7Z (A)

https://vid.me/4DpW (B)

https://vid.me/xwdH [C]

https://vid.me/b82Q (D)

Some pictures

http://i60.tinypic.com/14vbmg.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/105ayz7.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/jg14ja.jpg

Would really appreciate any help, I have no idea which part is causing the problem thus unable to solve it :( 

Edited by RyanTzb, 02 August 2015 - 10:32 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello RyanTzb,

So as to avoid any confusion it is important to stick with one problem at a time, we can come to the upgrade questions once this issue is resolved.

We need some clarification if you will;

when I wake up and turn on my computer, it turns on for awhile and than shuts off immediately. 

Is this when you wake up or when you try to wake the computer from sleep.

Pressing the power button again does not work. The only way is to switch off the PSU and try again, 

Can you explain what you mean by " The only way is to switch off the PSU and try again, "

Will the computer not boot up at all.

Had you made any hardware or software changes previous to this first happening.

Any overclocking been done. 

Suggestion;

With the PSU removed from the case, try the most basic of tests to see if the PSU activates and stays running while not connected to any hardware, see the example Corsair video here to help with this.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

RyanTzb

RyanTzb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Is this when you wake up or when you try to wake the computer from sleep.

It is when I wake up from sleep (myself) that this problem occurs. When I attempt to start up my computer, everything is okay (at least I presume since the fans are spinning) for about 1-2 seconds than everything just shuts off. Do check my updated first post for more information.

Can you explain what you mean by " The only way is to switch off the PSU and try again, "

By " The only way is to switch off the PSU and try again, " , I meant after the first occurrence (the led lights up when I press the power button but in 1 or 2 seconds it stops.) , subsequent attempt to boot up the computer (Pressing the power button) does not trigger the 1/2 second lighting of the power led. Only way is to switch off the PSU/main socket and wait awhile before trying to boot up my computer by pressing the power button again, but the problem always occurs.

Will the computer not boot up at all.

No, It does boot up but it shuts off almost immediately, https://vid.me/gq7Z (A), https://vid.me/4DpW (B).  Video A shows what happens to my cpu/ heatsink fan when I attempt to boot up my computer, Video B shows what happens to my power led when I attempt to boot up my computer.

Had you made any hardware or software changes previous to this first happening.

No, Just doing normal stuff which I usually do such as listening to music, playing League of legends and chatting with friends as we game.

Any overclocking been done.

No, never attempted any overclocking

Suggestion;

With the PSU removed from the case, try the most basic of tests to see if the PSU activates and stays running while not connected to any hardware, see the example Corsair video here to help with this.

I will give it a try and then report back some time later. Thanks so much for the help

Edit: Got the test done, https://vid.me/xwdH [C], PSU still spinning after 30 mins

Update: https://vid.me/b82Q (D). This video shows how the PSU when connected to the mobo and CPU have the same problem of just shutting off after 1-2 seconds 

Now I wonder if it is really the PSU problem which I assumed at first since if I isolate the PSU it works perfectly. :(

Edited by RyanTzb, 02 August 2015 - 10:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The PSU working on its own does suggest that the problem lays elsewhere, a short in the MB or a failed CPU cooling fan perhaps, follow my canned text below for how to do a barebones set-up.

Remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the screen to the MBs integrated video port, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.

IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, 

RyanTzb

RyanTzb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the screen to the MBs integrated video port, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.

the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component

Can it even boot to the BIOS without a CPU? And the barebone set up you suggested is exactly what I did in the first place just that it is in a case.

I however followed your steps and remove everything from the case, (no ram or screen because even without them the computer cant even boot up. Dont see much point.)

1) set up a barebone setup with the mobo and PSU only.

results: Nothing happened, the PSU fan doesnt spin, nothing.

2) set up a barebone setup with the mobo, PSU and CPU (without heatsink and fan) 

results: PSU fan spins for 1-2 seconds than stop. The initial problem.

3) set up a barebone setup with the mobo, PSU and CPU (with heatsink and fan installed) just that this time round, it is outside of the case as you suggested, ontop of my mobo box. Basically its the same as what I did from the start.

results: PSU and cpu's heatsink fan spins for 1-2 seconds than stop. The initial problem. Basically Video D

Edited by RyanTzb, 03 August 2015 - 02:00 AM.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

If you dont mind try to clear your CMOS in your mobo!

How to clear the cmos!  -->Follow step 2 or step 3!

switch off your system and then clear the CMOS and then switch it on!

Edited by Dashing star, 03 August 2015 - 02:12 AM.

RyanTzb

RyanTzb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

If you dont mind try to clear your CMOS in your mobo!

How to clear the cmos!  -->Follow step 2 or step 3!

switch off your system and then clear the CMOS and then switch it on!

I tried it but to no avail :(

I did a bit of research and also found out that the corsair method checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. It still could be a problem with the PSU, if only I have a spare PSU to test it out 

Edited by RyanTzb, 03 August 2015 - 04:26 AM.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

If your power supply good , make sure your power cables are good..

Recently i go through one computer which have good psu, mobo but the jumper settings have one block which make clear the cmos again and again which inturn stop the mobo to draw power from psu...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can it even boot to the BIOS without a CPU? 

No, apologies if my guidance was not clear, it was not intended for you to remove the processor from the MB.

I however followed your steps and remove everything from the case, (no ram or screen because even without them the computer cant even boot up. Dont see much point.)

It is important that you follow the suggested steps to the letter, without a display being connected you will not be able to see any potential on screen boot failure messages that may be generated.

From my reply #4

Your MB and CPU have video capabilities so use these when testing, this means that the GTX550 Ti add on video card should be completely removed from the MB.

As an asides, the problem occurred before you had removed and tested any hardware so not likely as being the cause but can I ask if that since you removed the heatsink and cooler from atop the CPU have you since correctly cleaned off and re applied any thermal compound such as Arctic Silver as detailed here

RyanTzb

RyanTzb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

It is important that you follow the suggested steps to the letter, without a display being connected you will not be able to see any potential on screen boot failure messages that may be generated.

From my reply #4
Your MB and CPU have video capabilities so use these when testing, this means that the GTX550 Ti add on video card should be completely removed from the MB.

Alright I tested it out, the screen just shows no signal and goes back to sleep while my computer, as usual, turns on for 1 - 2 seconds and shuts off immediately.

As an asides, the problem occurred before you had removed and tested any hardware so not likely as being the cause but can I ask if that since you removed the heatsink and cooler from atop the CPU have you since correctly cleaned off and re applied any thermal compound such as Arctic Silver as detailed here

Yes, I cleaned it off with 99 percent isopropyl alcohol before re applying Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound.

I did many research about this and I think the best solution for me now is just to buy myself a cheap PSU to do some testing and see if works with a new PSU. If it doesnt, I will keep the new PSU as a backup tester and just build a new computer altogether. This computer is getting really slow and not meeting my requirements anyway. Thank you so much guys for the help, I really appreciate it but I have been living without a computer for few months now and I cannot take it anymore. Please do help me choose some parts and advice me along the way at the system building and upgrading section. Thanks so much guys. 

http://www.geekstogo...ce-me-on-parts/

Edited by RyanTzb, 05 August 2015 - 02:02 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Alright I tested it out, the screen just shows no signal and goes back to sleep while my computer, as usual, turns on for 1 - 2 seconds and shuts off immediately.

This may suggest that the problem is with either the MB or the CPU, a MB is more prone to failure than a CPU is, unfortunately without like for like replacements being available to swap in only a suitably qualified tech that has the appropriate test equipment can advise you as to which item of hardware is bad.

I did many research about this and I think the best solution for me now is just to buy myself a cheap PSU 

:no: Never trust any PSU other than a known quality brand that has an adequate output for all of your hardware, you have a top quality brand PSU in the SeaSonic S12II but even they can fail, the symptoms that you describe along with the troubleshooting that you have done suggests a fried CPU or bad MB I'm afraid.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you RyanTzb, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.