Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus laptop dual GPUs problems.

Best Answer amarkkassery , 02 August 2015 - 12:34 AM

The issue is that with time (usually about 6 months, depending on the thermal paste originally used by the manufacturer) the thermal paste dries up with use (much shorter time especially with heavy... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Ackadian

Ackadian

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Ok so I have avoided posting my issue on a public forum with lots of people because this has proved many times useless but I am getting desperate so here we go.When I bought my laptop I've been told it contains 2 GPUs,an Intel HD 4000 with 512 MB memory that is integrated and an Nvidia 610m with 2 GB memory which is specificated to be for gaming.The laptop model is Asus K55VD by the way.Now the problem is that I can only use my Intel graphics card because it's the only one stable and it allows me to play on around 15 [bleep] fps on everything...meh. Whenever I switch over to my Nvidia one everything gets on average twice as much fps but it only lasts for one minute and then the fps drops permanently to 2-3 and as soon as this happens everything related to sound and my audio chip becomes distorted.I have been trying to solve this for a lot now but Google didn't help,forums didn't help,nothing ever helped.This is really really frustrating and I don't know how to fix and look into it anymore so I hope you guys on here have some ideas....and please don't tell me to just clean my laptop of dust or stuff like that...I've done everything I could so far except going to an expert yet.I have also tried to look into BIOS as my cousin told me it might be because the laptop isn't booting by default using the Nvidia GPU but apparently my BIOS is "locked" or something like that and does not allow me to change that.

Edited by Ackadian, 01 August 2015 - 10:05 PM.

Advertisements

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hi Ackadian,

May I ask you, how old your laptop is? The issue you are facing tells me that it has to do with over heating issues - Because it starts up fine, and then the fps drops (it is throttled). Can you also provide us with your computer manufacturer and model.

Regards.

Ackadian

Ackadian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I bought the laptop 2 years ago.It's an Asus K55VD as I have mentioned.

Intel® Core™ i3 3110M 2.40GHz

12GB RAM

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Nvidia GeForce 610M

500GB memory

I've been told it has something to do with cooling before but it makes no sense to me why the other GPU isn't doing the same thing.And I find it hard to believe it goes from 20 degrees to a remperature so high that it makes it impossible to run in just one minute O_O

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hi Ackadian,

Another question to really figure this issue out, is did you have this issue when you bought the laptop? Or did it creep in after a while?

Also do you feel comfortable opening up your computer, because the next course of action I would suggest is down that road.

Edited by amarkkassery, 01 August 2015 - 11:45 PM.

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
✓  Best Answer

The issue is that with time (usually about 6 months, depending on the thermal paste originally used by the manufacturer) the thermal paste dries up with use (much shorter time especially with heavy use - gaming, graphics heavy work, etc.). As the thermal paste dries up, the thermal contact between your IC (CPU/GPU) and heat sink is reduced or even lost. As this happens, your GPU heats up really fast (Your GPU runs on average about 35-40 degrees, but when you task it, it can go up really fast usually to greater than 100 degrees, if you don't have a way to cool it. The GPU is stable up to about 90-95 degrees, after which it will start to throttle its speed so that the heat reduces. If the cooling is done correctly, the temperature should stay at around 85-90 degree mark. The cooler it can run, the better performance it will give. (Do remember, the same issue can happen to the CPU as well, however the temperatures are slightly different.) If you said your computer shut off, then I would have suspected a faulty fan, however since the CPU seems fine, but the GPU has an issue, the most likely scenario is a dried up thermal paste, or an incorrect thermal paste application.

It is a good idea to replace the thermal compound every 6 months or so (For certain compounds like the IC Diamond, you will only need to re-apply every 12-24 months, as it doesn't dry up as fast).

Here's the plan of action I would suggest you take:

If you are comfortable opening and fixing your computer follow through, else take it to a qualified laptop technician in your area, and ask for a "thermal compound re-paste" done to your laptop. This should fix a lot of issues.

Caution: If you open your computer and do a thermal compound re-paste, you will void your warranty (if applicable)

Caution: You are advised to have a grounding strap attached to your wrist (or use a ESD safe glove) and use ESD safe tools, when working on your computer.

Caution: Repairing your computer is not fool-proof, and hence the following guide is given for your reference only. Please take extreme caution in repairing your computer. It can cause serious bodily injury and/or death.

Tools Required:

• Precision Screwdrivers (Philips 00, 0, 1) (All of which should come in a cheap precision screwdriver set)
  • Pry Tool
  • Thermal Compound (Preferably IC Diamond or Artic Silver 5)
  • Thermal Compound Cleaner (Preferably ArtiCleaner, else you can use Isopropyl Alcohol)
  • Clean Tissue Paper

Procedure:

• Unplug your laptop, and remove the battery.
  • Follow this video for dis-assembly: https://www.youtube....h?v=2UbT6o2AbZY
  • Follow this video for removal of the heat sink and re-assembly of the heat sink: https://youtu.be/W9N0luaacPQ?t=575 (until time 17:00) (Please use this video only as a guide, and do not rely on it for re-pasting. Please follow instructions that come with your thermal compound to clean and apply the compound)
  • Now would also be a good time to clean your fan thoroughly.
  • Make sure to follow instruction that come with your thermal compound (Not the way that above video shows application of the thermal paste)
  • Follow this video for assembly of your laptop: https://www.youtube....h?v=KyTbmyyEuDM

Please let us know what you do and how it went, whether for good or for bad.

Good Luck!

Ackadian

Ackadian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Ackadian,

Another question to really figure this issue out, is did you have this issue when you bought the laptop? Or did it creep in after a while?

Also do you feel comfortable opening up your computer, because the next course of action I would suggest is down that road.

Yes,it's been like this since I bought the laptop,I was never able to use the Nvidia GPU. Also I am going to try reapplying the cooling paste later today and hope it will solve some stuff.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Some very good information provided above amarkkassery however the following is inaccurate;

It is a good idea to replace the thermal compound every 6 months or so (For certain compounds like the IC Diamond, you will only need to re-apply every 12-24 months, as it doesn't dry up as fast).

Correctly applied quality brand thermal compound will last for many years and more often than not it will last the lifetime of the computer and should only need cleaning off and reapplying if for some reason the heatsink needs to be removed.

As for the choice of brand of compound, never used anything other than Arctic myself so cannot say how IC Diamond performs, you may want to read the OP here though.

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Some very good information provided above amarkkassery however the following is inaccurate;

Correctly applied quality brand thermal compound will last for many years and more often than not it will last the lifetime of the computer and should only need cleaning off and reapplying if for some reason the heatsink needs to be removed.

As for the choice of brand of compound, never used anything other than Arctic myself so cannot say how IC Diamond performs, you may want to read the OP here though.

phillpower2: That was an interesting article. I have had some issue of abrasiveness myself with IC Diamond, however those issues far outweigh the need to re-paste less often. The pitting problem is new to me. I might have to stop using IC Diamond and stop recommending it.

The quote you mentioned above is from my personal experience. When I perform regular maintenance on computers and clean the heat sink, I have seen the thermal paste to be mostly dry or "baked, cracked, and powdered", therefore, it has been my experience to replace the thermal compound every year or two, using a good compound like Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond. But let me not hijack this thread for that discussion.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

phillpower2: That was an interesting article. I have had some issue of abrasiveness myself with IC Diamond, however those issues far outweigh the need to re-paste less often. The pitting problem is new to me. I might have to stop using IC Diamond and stop recommending it.

The quote you mentioned above is from my personal experience. When I perform regular maintenance on computers and clean the heat sink, I have seen the thermal paste to be mostly dry or "baked, cracked, and powdered", therefore, it has been my experience to replace the thermal compound every year or two, using a good compound like Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond. But let me not hijack this thread for that discussion.

No problem amarkkassery but it did need saying else other less knowledgeable people that may read this thread could needlessly set about dismantling their computers and end up damaging them in the process, some but not all would then be looking for someone to blame for their mishap.

Ackadian

Ackadian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for all the help :D I reappliead thermal paste on what appeared to be dried up paste from who knows how long before I bought the laptop and now my Nvidia GPU works astonishingly. It's like a whole new world :3

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Thanks for sharing the great news!

Edited by amarkkassery, 02 August 2015 - 11:57 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Ditto to the above, a job well done on your behalf Ackadian  :thumbsup:

Hope you don`t mind but I took the liberty of marking the reply #5 of amarkkassery as the best answer  :)