Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear Router/Modem Bad download speeds can i improve?

Netgear CGD24G Broadband

Best Answer Leroyman , 07 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

No problem.  Unfortunately yes i looked for updates and there were none. I have checked for virus's as well and none were found. I use Malwarebytes anti-malware and Microsoft Security Essentia... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Leroyman

Leroyman

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Hi i have a Netgear wireless router/modem combo. My ping is good and my upload time is not bad but my download speed is terrible! I have the slowest download i have ever seen. I was wondering if i could bring my speeds up any or possibly go through a different router combined with mine, or use a proxy or something? I just can't handle these speeds of downloads anymore. last time i checked i think it was 1.20 mbps Down where normally i was getting 13-15 down please help me out?

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello Leroyman,

1. Some ISPs "shape" the bandwidth. That is, limit download P2P and other speeds to save bandwidth for those that "surf."

2. Some ISPs "boost" the speed for web pages but not others with local web caching machines.

Only your ISP can tell you which they do.

Leroyman

Leroyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Thanks for your reply Dashing star

My internet provider is a real, ugh.... Pain in my @$$ to say the least. They do not know their foot from their mouth. I have contacted them before i created my post many times. They will not/can not give me numbers or info of what my speeds should be. But i have some friends on the same service as i with excellent speeds right up the road. That is why i was just going to try to go around ISP with all cost. They normally send the 3 stooges if i call or have a problem. No exaggeration 1 will be 'Working' on something the 2 standing with his mouth open and the 3rd one hitting the other over the head.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello 

sorry for delay.. :no:

Did you try speed test  ?

also run ping test and post back!

Did the download speed is less for any specific website?

Leroyman

Leroyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
4559168627.png

No the speed is the same on all sites. I only notice the speed problem when downloading like an update on Playstation or Netflix.

Edited by Leroyman, 05 August 2015 - 09:58 AM.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

I suggest you the following steps,

1. Test a different modem/router

2. Scan for viruses

The next thing you need to do is make sure that no virus itself is causing you to slow down. Sometimes viruses can live on your computer and suck resources away from what you are doing thus slowing down your speeds. I personally use this one as a daily scanner on my PC and have found it to be the most accurate over time without slowing down my computer too much.

3. Check for on-system interference

Sometimes your virus scanner or other programs can interfere with your internet speeds. This is really frustrating but you can figure out by simply switching things off one at a time and then running a speed test again. Please note I won’t be responsible for any viruses or spyware you pick up whilst doing this. You should always have good virus protection.

4. Check your filters

If you have your internet connected to a phone line that also has a telephone on it then you will need to make sure you have good quality filters installed on your line. These are little plugs that you attach to the phone line and they help filter out the disturbances.

5. Plug in

Wifi is nice but wireless internet is often a tad slower than if you plug in to your modem. Try getting that chord out of the box and plugging straight into the modem, especially if it is your desktop computer and you don’t need to move it around very often.

6. Check for external interference

I bet most of you have an iPhone, iPad, sound system and at least one other form of electronic device in your modem area.  if so, then you need to check to see whether these things are causing electromagnetic interference. Try moving speakers out of the way and getting other electronic devices out of your modem space.

7. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

The last suggestion is often the most powerful one. Turn off your modem for one minute and turn it on again. It is called power cycling and can often flush out a bunch of problems that affect your speed. If you are really brave you can even reconfigure your modem with a new password as this can often refresh your settings at the end of your ISP and refresh connections.

8. Update firmware and software regularly

Your router/modem actually has it’s own software that you need to update regularly. You can login to your modem by following your brand’s instructions. For example, for a NETGEAR modem you go to http://routerlogin.com where you can update and tweak your settings. You also need to consider updating your computer’s desktop version, operating system, etc. as often the wireless settings become less compatible over time.

If all of this fails it’s time to contact your Internet Service Provider and modem company and ask them for a line test as well as the ideal settings for your setup. They will be able to guide you through in a step by step fashion.

Leroyman

Leroyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Hello Dashing star

Thanks for all the help. i have just came back from the store i bought a 219.00 Router/modem combo and the speeds are worse! Lol So i am switching back to my old router/modem box and guess gonna have to deal with the speeds. I really appreciate you trying to help me though. Speed just was 100% against me on this one. :( Have a lovely day

Leroy

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Thanks for update!  :thumbsup:

Did you try my steps? Particulary about virus and Firmware?  :confused:

Leroyman

Leroyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
✓  Best Answer

No problem.

Unfortunately yes i looked for updates and there were none. I have checked for virus's as well and none were found. I use Malwarebytes anti-malware and Microsoft Security Essentials setup to run daily and remove when found option. Do not have filters, Have reset the modem/router many of times, Also there is no interference anywhere close to my router/modem have also change the settings on my router to different channels to check, But nothing works to help :(