Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black screen on laptop

Do I need to replace inverter

• Please log in to reply

winningrun

winningrun

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi

My laptop is a dell studio 1535, the problem is when I lift the lid over half way the screen goes black, i i lower the laptop lid to less than half way I can see the screen again. Is this an inverter problem?

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Try using the computer with an external monitor. If it functions properly the you are looking at a LCD, inverter or cable problem. My best guess based on your description is a faulty cable and I would try that first. However if it does not work with the external monitor then you probably have a logic board problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

A loose or damaged display cable would cause such issues, as suggested by Dashing star connect the notebook to an external screen, if the display stays good on that then inspecting and/or replacing the video cable will be required, only undertake such a task if you are confident enough to do so.

Replacement cable here

LCD Dell Studio 1535 / 1536 / 1537 LCD Display Assembly Removal and Installation

winningrun

winningrun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I don't know if this was the right way to do this, but I used a hdmi cable to the tv from the laptop and the screen was fine?

Thanks for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

I don't know if this was the right way to do this, but I used a hdmi cable to the tv from the laptop and the screen was fine?

Thanks for the help.

A loose or damaged display cable would cause such issues, as suggested by Dashing star connect the notebook to an external screen, if the display stays good on that then inspecting and/or replacing the video cable will be required, only undertake such a task if you are confident enough to do so.

Replacement cable here

LCD Dell Studio 1535 / 1536 / 1537 LCD Display Assembly Removal and Installation

As per my reply #3 above, the display working ok using the HDMI port shows that the MB and integrated video chip etc are ok but says nothing for the actual notebook screen and subsequent components, investigating the display cable/ribbon first is the suggested and standard procedure, if the screen was constantly black but the notebook produced video on an external screen then it would suggest that the inverter and/or back light** had failed.

** Not all notebook screens have/rely on a back light.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

Not heard back from you winningrun, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

winningrun

winningrun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi,

I was finally able to test the laptop with an external monitor yesterday at a computer repair shop, the screen was black, they said it was either the inverter which would be £25, or the wires which would be £50. The decision I think I have to make is whether to buy an inverter myself.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

Not sure that I am understanding you correctly as the external screen being black would not be due to a failed inverter and/or video cable on your notebook;

As per my reply #3 above, the display working ok using the HDMI port shows that the MB and integrated video chip etc are ok but says nothing for the actual notebook screen and subsequent components, investigating the display cable/ribbon first is the suggested and standard procedure, if the screen was constantly black but the notebook produced video on an external screen then it would suggest that the inverter and/or backlight** had failed.

** Not all notebook screens have/rely on a backlight.

winningrun

winningrun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Opened up the laptop around the screen to get to the inverter, and connected the the inverter in my laptop to another screen, the screen was black.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

Thanks for explaining how the test was done  :thumbsup:

JAFYI: Where black screens on notebooks are concerned the two most common causes are a failed back light or inverter, inverters are commonly the least expensive of the two and Techs will often replace an inverter when it is a back light that has failed so as to avoid potentially having to replace it at a later date.

Couple of other things worth mentioning, a basic test for checking if a back light has gone is to shine a flash light into the screen in a darkened room to see if any desktop icons are visible in the background and were the video cable is concerned, a common cause of these becoming detached is the notebook lid being opened too wide over a period of time, you will normally get symptoms such as the screen being black but it will come back on if the screen is opened into a certain position, if you have not had such symptoms it is less likely (but not impossible) that the cable is damaged or loose.