Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot Device Not Found Error Message

• Please log in to reply

Joe_P_

Joe_P_

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I've had my laptop since May 2011. 

HP Pavilion dv6
500 GB Serial ATA 7200 rpm hard drive.

Originally Windows 7 64-bit upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit

One morning I turned on my laptop and I received the error "Boot Device Not Found Please install an operating system on your hard disk."

The laptop lives on my desk, hasn't undergone any major changes, and I haven't moved or dropped it.

I've run every diagnostic test from the F2 menu. The hard drive and memory both passed, the system tune up passed, and I've restored the BIOS to the default settings with no changes.

If I hold the power button and restart the laptop usually on the 2nd or 3rd attempt the system will start normally with no issues and continue on as if nothing is wrong. 

Thinking that a system restore might help I ran a recovery and brought it to an "out of the box" state. After that failed I decided to go ahead and upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I performed a clean install keeping none of my programs or personal files. Despite a successful Windows 10 install I still receive the same error every time I restart. 

The short version:

• When I turn on my laptop I encounter a Boot Device Not Found Error Message.
  • My hard drive passes diagnostic tests.
  • My laptop will start eventually if I continue to power cycle it.

Is my hard drive about to bite the dust?

Advertisements

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Performs steps 1, 2, and 3 on the following page: http://support.hp.co...ument/c01443463

More than likely if you perform the steps mentioned in that article your HDD might be at about its end of life.

Also, did you ever have issues where your computer either turned off, or had a blue screen of death (BSOD), or have restarted automatically, while using your computer?

Joe_P_

Joe_P_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I've been through those steps. My computer has become much slower but otherwise I haven't had any issues once I get it to boot.