Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power switching

• Please log in to reply

Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow

• Pip
  • 6 posts

When I turn on my laptop using the battery it turns on fine but if I connect the power supply it won't switch over, the screen just flashes and I have to do a restart to get the power supply to take over. Is there some setting I don't know about? Gateway Model MA3 laptop.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello whiteshadow :welcome: ,

switch off the laptop.

Try to press power button for 30 seconds

switch on the laptop

Now connect your charger

Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for the fast response I tried your suggestion but it didn't work.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

This issue can be caused by to distinct reasons:

Heating issues - some laptops have built-in heat sensors that will stop charging if the battery, or the laptop itself gets hot. This can be remedied by turning off the laptop for a while to allow it to cool down. It may be worth cleaning the cooling ducts and CPU/GPU heatsinks with compressed air/vacuum.

Battery Driver issues - the default Windows battery device drivers may be corrupt, or incompatible with your particular brand of laptop. If the issue is persistent, it may be worth downloading newer drivers directly from your manufacturer. Below is a solution for resetting the Windows 7 default ACPI battery drivers.

Follow the steps below to fix battery charging driver issues:

1. Disconnect AC power
2. Shut down laptop
3. Remove battery
4. Connect AC power
5. Start laptop
6. Open "Device Manager" (right-click on "Computer" -> Properties -> click "Device Manager" in left pane)
7. Under "Batteries", right-click and uninstall "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" (all occurances)
8. Shutdown
9. Disconnect AC power, insert battery
10. Connect AC power, start laptop

Note: If following the above steps does not fix your issue, it may be worth using a voltmeter to verify the voltage coming out of the power supply at the point where it plugs into your laptop. Some power supply cables are prone to failure after repeat bending, and adapters can fail as well. Most common laptop PSUs should output about 19 volts, and there is a label on them that lists the input and output voltages.

Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks I'll give this a try ASAP and let you know.

Edited by Whiteshadow, 08 August 2015 - 11:14 AM.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Thanks for updating!  :thumbsup:

Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The computer won't start without the battery in.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you try this?

Note: If following the above steps does not fix your issue, it may be worth using a voltmeter to verify the voltage coming out of the power supply at the point where it plugs into your laptop. Some power supply cables are prone to failure after repeat bending, and adapters can fail as well. Most common laptop PSUs should output about 19 volts, and there is a label on them that lists the input and output voltages.

Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes the power pack is what it should be. I have two and it does this with both. I'm going to try your uninstall again when I get back from my trip.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Thanks for letting me know!  :thumbsup:

Lets see how things go!  ;)

Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The laptop won't start up with the battery removed so I can't do as you suggested. I get nothing. I have to have the battery in and push the power button until the laptop starts up and shuts off then the power switches over and the power pack light will come on and I can push the power again and it runs on the power pack otherwise it will flash brit and dim between battery and power pack dim and bright all the time. This is a weird one.