Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot disk not the same as windows disk?

• Please log in to reply

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

I could not find an AHCI mode option. I'm not going to remove any HDD's. I'm curious as to why the boot disk is not the SSD, but everything works as desired, so I don't want to risk messing that up. I think I'll just have to accept that I don't know why it is like it is.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Your mobo model?.... Newer mobo have sata ports so as they have sata/raid/ahci ports of options in bios.... Did you check it once again for me?

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Asus M4A79T Deluxe. I found it. I can set AHCI for port 1-4 and 5-6 seperately. They were both on IDE. If I set both on AHCI I can't boot, because the SSD is not detected. If I put 1-4 on AHCI and 5-6 on IDE, nothing changes.

I guess the BIOS will just let you select HD/Floppy/CD in the boot priority and it only Disk 1. If there is no OS on Disk 1 it will cycle though the other disks. Just strange that I can't configure the SSD to be disk 1.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

From things i know after changing settings to AHCI most problems solved in case of ssd.  :confused:

I guess the BIOS will just let you select HD/Floppy/CD in the boot priority and it only Disk 1. If there is no OS on Disk 1 it will cycle though the other disks. Just strange that I can't configure the SSD to be disk 1.

A little bit strange!  :headscratch:

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

It is. But everything works so I'm not complaining. This topic can be closed as far as I'm considered.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Here in Hardware forum generally the topic cannot be closed until it is duplicate message. You can mark it as solved if you feel one of the answers gives you solution...

Regards

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

So we just leave this open and unsolved?

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

since the issue is not solved you can leave it open!  :geek:

Regards  :wave:

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

After switching between IDE and AHCI my disk letters got switched around. Some shortcuts and program associations stopped working, but I fixed those manually. Are there othere consequences I should be worried about?It seems that sometimes it takes quite while to load This Computer or the 1TB disk, but this might just be me being used to my new SSD speed.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

At AHCI mode your ssd is first booting device?

AHCI - Advanced Host Controller Interface - this is a hardware mechanism that allows the software to communicate with Serial ATA (SATA) devices. It offers features such as hot-plugging and native command queuing (NCQ).

IDE - Integrated Drive Electronics - IDE is basically the "old" version of AHCI without hot-plugging and NCQ. (This is usually used during the Parallel ATA (PATA) era hard disks)

Now. AHCI mode and IDE mode -- what is it? IDE mode is to give you the greatest compatibility with older operating systems. While AHCI is as I mentioned above, modern version of the IDE -- use AHCI mode if you are running recent operating systems  (Windows Vista+ and Linux kernel from 2.6.19+). IDE mode will allow you to connect older operating systems to SATA drives.

As I mentioned above, SATA is Serial ATA, and is the replacement for Parallel ATA (PATA) hard drives.

Advertisements

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Yes. But when I tried AHCI not all disks were detected and I was experiencing no trouble with IDE mode. I could try AHCI again en plug the SSD in the first SATA port. But hot do I cope with the drive letters being messed up? I also have two partitions on the SSD.