Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WordPress Site Clean-up

wordpress database spoofing

Best Answer briz_dad , 11 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

Hello G2G Admin, Thanks for the response... it wasn't the config file. I finally found two "burried" .js files that were creating the mess. Site seems clean now... ~ Greg Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

briz_dad

briz_dad

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Hello Enfold,

I am working with a client's site that is using the WordPress Enfold theme.
org-consult.com

It seems a while back, the site was hacked. I believe due diligence for the site's security has been done. However, there is still a mess of "pages" to be cleaned out.

EXAMPLES
http://www.org-consu...riting-services
http://www.org-consu...our-best-friend

I think there are potentially around a thousand of them - this based on our Google Analytics (which is how they were discovered in the first place).

Our site is hosted with GoDaddy and they can give us no support with this.

Also, these "pages" do not exist in the ADMIN of the site; neither as pages or posts.

My concern with messing with the Db on my own is that it looks to me that the Enfold theme uses post elements for elements contained on a page - and that the default WordPress structure does, too.

With my limited knowledge, I am liable to blow-out real content in attempting to delete these "pages".

Can you help direct me with the clean-up?

Sincerely,
Greg

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you have FTP access? if so, first download the home directory where the blog is located. Next delete everything except wp-config.php, open wp-config.php in a text editor like notepad++ and look for unknown characters or code added to the end of the file. Or better yet, copy the database name, password, and server into a new config file. Upload fresh Wordpress and theme files. Replace any theme customizations and upload logo and other graphics that were changed or created from backup.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello G2G Admin,

Thanks for the response... it wasn't the config file.

I finally found two "burried" .js files that were creating the mess.

Site seems clean now...

~ Greg

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Good news. If you haven't already,setup WordPress to auto update the core and plugins. Most hacks are caused by outdated software. pleasehttps://codex.wordpr...kground_Updates