Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 start button not working

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply

tsmonk

tsmonk

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

I just updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and clicking on the start button does nothing. Tried using the command prompt (admin) to no avail. Task bar seems to functioning normally. I can right click the start button to  run programs. Anyone have a solution?

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you restart your pc after installing or upgrading to windows 10.

If yes then check your firewall settings it it is on turn it off and then restart your pc.

I also suggest you to upgrade your Anti-virus for windows 10.

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Still not working. Decided to roll back to Windows 7 but cannot access "Settings".  Backup and restore no longer has an option to restore from image. Guess I stuck.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Read this and give it a try!

How to downgrade Windows 10: Hate Windows 10? Uninstall Windows 10 and reinstall Windows 7 or 8.1 in a few easy steps

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

I have been down this path. As stated in my last post, I cannot get to Settings>Update & Security>Recovery by the means described because the start icon doesn't work. Do you know another way to access that panel?

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Launch the Registry Editor (hit the Windows key and R, type regedit, and then press Enter) and then navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ ImmersiveShell\Launcher

Click Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it UseExperience.
Double-click the newly created item and set the value to 0.
Click OK, close the Registry Editor and then restart your computer -- or just restart Explorer. (If you can still right-click on your start button, you can use Task Manager to restart Explorer.)

Source: I reversed the process found in this post about Continuum, the new version of the start menu.

source: http://forums.window...ild-9926-a.html

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Tried registry edit, no good. I had previously tried the PowerShell option in the Command Prompt to no effect. Incidentally, the search bar is non functional as well.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Still not working. Decided to roll back to Windows 7 but cannot access "Settings".  Backup and restore no longer has an option to restore from image. Guess I stuck.

Please have positive thought! There is a way surely work for you! Dont worry!

Did you have windows 7 cd?

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Yes, I have a windows 7 CD. I also have a  Windows 7 Recovery Disc that I was going to use as a last resort and a Windows 10 ISO disc downloaded from Microsoft.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Yes! You are at the point!

Just do it!

Do not Update anything if you are not sure what happen in the future.. Lets wait for others to tell their review then do it and upgrade to win 10.

Hope all will be fine!

Advertisements

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Well, it gets worse. Mouse and keyboard will not work with either the Windows 7 recovery disc or The Windows 7 installation cd. I will to troubleshoot this issue.  At this point I cannot even do+ a clean install of Windows 7!

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

USB devices enable on BIOS?

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Yes. Problem was keyboard and mouse where plugged into USB 3 ports. Changed to USB 2. (it is getting late here in Alaska and the brain is suffering). Will proceed with re-image of Windows, fingers crossed.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

:spoton:

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Re-image was successful. Cancelled my reservation for Windows 10 Update and now shows in Windows Update as optional . I think I will purchase another SSD and set up a dual boot with Windows 10. It will be interesting to see how this update goes with users in  months ahead.  My copy of Windows 7 is a students and faculty version I purchased through the university where I work at a substantial discount. I am waiting for Microsoft to reply to my inquiry to see if that may be an issue. Thanks for your help.  :wave: