Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me please, I've been invaded by...

• Please log in to reply

Illyria

Illyria

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The thing is in a language completely unknown to me, so I'll see if anyone recognizes it when I list the symptoms.

I went to a web page and a window popped up in Spanish. I, being the person I am, clicked "no", but after that a fake internet explorer that is linked to what I believe is an inappropriate site, and some sort of windows movie editor plugin appeared on my desktop, start menu and documents folder.

Also, it started dialing my modem, and the only way I could get it to stop was to unplug the phone cord.

I deleted the files and the modem didn't start dialing again when I plugged the cord back in, however, when I went to turn on my computer this morning, the same thing happened again, even though I wasn't on the internet.

If you need it, I can take a picture of the desktop when the pop-up appears, but I'm not on that computer right now.

I'd download software to get rid of it, but I'm not even sure what it is, and me being the poor 38k internet person I don't have the ability to download a lot of removal software, so I have to be pretty sure of what this thing is before I go any further.

Please help. :tazz:

Advertisements

ilago

ilago

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 363 posts
Hi Illyria

Download HijackThis from the link on this page http://www.geekstogo...ction=show&id=3

It's a very small download 216KB

Please make a folder on your C:\ drive called C:\HJT and unzip HijackThis into that folder. Run the program from the folder.

Download HijackThis to the new folder:

Double Click on 'HijackThis.zip' to extract and install HijackThis.exe to the new folder. Double click on HijackThis.exe to open the program.

Close ALL windows except HJT

Click on SCAN with HJT and SAVE LOG. (a notepad window will open with the log in it when you click Save Log) (Ctrl-A to'select all', Ctrl-C to 'copy')

POST the log in this thread using 'Add Reply' (Ctrl-V to 'paste')

Make sure you post the entire log including the top portion:

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS SOME OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO THE FUNCTION OF YOUR COMPUTER