Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I don't understand How to install anything at all in W8?

• Please log in to reply

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Gentlemen, I am confused beyond all logic about how to install anything at all in W8. I have a new laptop, and I don't know if it has windows 8 or 8.1.

I am trying to install firefox for hours, but it keeps downloading a firefox document with an extention of .dmg? What is that? I have tried clicking on run or open too, but it doesn't let me choose anything that I understand.

Am I really stupid? or is W8 that hard?

How can I trun W8 to be more like W7? Is it possible?

Thank you

Advertisements

nordvark

nordvark

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Hi there, your problem is you are trying to install a Mac program on Windoze :no:  The .dmg extension denotes a Macintosh format. Get Firefox  Here or Here

Edited by nordvark, 07 August 2015 - 10:22 PM.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Hello BearCavalry

In reply to the other part of the question

How can I trun W8 to be more like W7? Is it possible?

I have found that >> Classic Shell format has made my windows 8.1 look and almost operate the same as Windows 7.
This runs the Desktop type of setup that I also think you are looking for. It is described and pictures are shown on the linked page.

The link leads to the download page, and with Firefox (as linked above) mine operates very well.

You can try this as it is free, and always delete it from Programs and Features if it is not what you want.

Hope this helps.

redangelhazel

redangelhazel

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have an acer tablet. It's like a little labtop

redangelhazel

redangelhazel

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I didn't ask for windows 10 but it was downloaded any way without my permission. Now I can't put it back the way it was. I have tried 4 times

redangelhazel

redangelhazel

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have tried even windows 7 and windows 8.1. Every time my system restarts windows 10 is upgrading it's system back up. I can't even get a hold of them.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Hello redangelhazel, and welcome.

Please post that topic in the >> Windows 10 area for a better reply on your problem.

Thank You.