Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp servedr 2003

• Please log in to reply

misia

misia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey all

im a real novice with server 2003

i hav dell pweredge server ,looking 2 host my webpage of my own machine,i hav a broadband conection running thru a d-link router..domain name [email protected]

is this atall possible if so could sum1 plz point me 2how 2 4dummies plz
:tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
first thing you need to address is does your isp allow it? Many will not, especially cable. You will get your broadband connection pulled--comcast is a devil on this and they constantly scan their network for listening port 80s

Even if they allow it, your bandwith may be insufficient. And I don't even want to address what happens if that version of windows server is pirated at it starts phoning home to MS....

Second, assuming the above is ok, is your IP address static or dynamic? If dynamic, that's an issue since a changing ip address makes hosting a website tricky at best, and problematic at worst.

Third you need public dns servers...

granite canyon offers the service
http://soa.granitecanyon.com/
It is slow at times, though...may be a better alternative, especially for UK users

you need to set up your ip address with your domain name so that traffic routes to you, if you intend to use your domain

After that, you just need to set up your server.

Seriously, though, this is not something you do lightly....anyone asking for a step by step for dummies probably shouldn't be hosting themselves. You can get a nice hosting package for every little money these days--including geekstogo

http://www.gtghosting.com/

(unintentional, intentional plug :tazz: )