Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Send mail as" failing in gmail. Help!

• Please log in to reply

dvd7e

dvd7e

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

After graduating from college, I had my college email forwarded to my gmail account, and in Settings > Account I set it up so that I could still send mail from my college email address. This has been working perfectly for close to a decade. But I've been noticing that when I do this, the "FROM:" field in the received email will often say something like "[email protected] on behalf of [email protected]". I wanted to get rid of that "on behalf" stuff, so I was playing around with the settings, and now I can't send mail from my college account at all! Every email gets bounced back to me.

So in gmail, I went to Settings > Accounts and Import and then "edit info" next to my college account. The settings I'm using are:

SMTP Server: authusersmtp.mail.cornell.edu

Port 587

Secured connection using TLS

Since that wasn't working, I also tried every combination of those settings and it still isn;t working.

I even verified these same settings with my wife's account (also an alum, and has the same setup, but she doesn't have this issue), but my emails are always bounced back if I try sending on behalf of the college account. I also tried deleting and then re-adding under "Send mail as", which required that I re-"verify" my gmail account from my college account but the issue didn't go away. The bounced back message is pasted below. I clicked on the link in the error email

One possible idea was if it was some sort of security setting in my gmail account, although I verified that 2-step verification is currently off.

Please help!

Thank you!

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

**********@hotmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the relay authusersmtp.mail.cornell.edu byauthusersmtp.mail.cornell.edu. [132.236.101.7].

The error that the other server returned was:
556 5.3.3 You are not entitled to use this service.  More information can be found here http://www.it.cornell.edu/services/guides/student_email/howto/smtp-2013.cfm

----- Original message -----

MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Received: by 10.194.5.74 with SMTP id q10mr28426562wjq.27.1439064169724;
 Sat, 08 Aug 2015 13:02:49 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.27.176.132 with HTTP; Sat, 8 Aug 2015 13:02:49 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 16:02:49 -0400
Message-ID: <CAL0K+GaSw2Wuu_h1Vg-X1dMCoNYHVaA=[email protected]>
Subject: 4:02
To: ************@hotmail.com
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=047d7b45070ea543de051cd23cc6

Advertisements

gtaplaya22

gtaplaya22

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have the EXACT same error trying to send email from a gmail account but with my college email address (I am even using a cornell.edu email as well!), same error code pops up whenever I try to send any message. Do you know when this started happening to you? Did you find a way to fix it?

I only noticed this error on Monday so it may be a general issue for everyone in our situation. Does your wife's account still work, even with all the settings exactly the same?

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I called Cornell's IT help desk, they said they no longer allow you to set this up because of something about trying to avoid spoofers, spam, hackers etc. But if you already had this setup, then you're grandfathered in. So when I changed the settings, just playing around and not knowing about this issue, I lost that grandfathered-in status and now can't re set it up.  Not happy about that.

And ya, I verified that my wife can still send emails from that account.