Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sluggish/Pop Ups/Blue Screen [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
It is rather weird for Microsoft Security Essentials to be this persistent. Your logs are otherwise clean. :)
  • Step 1

Download 'Fix It by Microsoft' and save it to your desktop.
    • Simply double-click the program icon to run it. It will ask for administrator privileges.
    • Click Accept > Browse and choose your desktop. Press Save after.
    • Once it has finish downloading, click Finish.
    • Go to the folder named Fix it portable and double-click Launch Fix it.exe.
    • From the selection choose Install or upgrade software or hardware.
    • At the very bottom, click the Run Now button beside Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled.
    • Select Detect problems and let me select the fixes to apply > Uninstalling > Microsoft Security Essentials > Next. If the program cannot be found choose Not Listed{BCF43643-A118-4432-AEDE-D861FCBCFCDF} > Next.
    • Follow the rest of the on-screen instructions.
    • At the very end, a log will be made available to you.
    • Post the log and check whether or not the entry is still present.

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Hi .. It wont let me .. once I click on the run I click on the "Detect problems and let me select the fixes to apply " and then I get the window saying "program install and uninstaller troubleshooter .. The trouble shooter has experienced an unexpected error and it can not continue ..

I did it twice, once from the list then I noticed on the top it says to click on the hyperlink to run it from the internet and I did but got the same results.

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
  • Step 1

Download 'Windows Repair (All In One) by Tweaking.com' and save it to your desktop.
    • Simply double-click the program icon to run it. It will ask for administrator privileges.
    • Go through the installer. At the end of the process, the program screen should pop-up.
    • Navigate to Step 3: Optional:
      • Click Check. The scan will commence.
      • Select Do It if errors were found. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
    • Navigate to Step 4: Optional:
      • Click Do It.
    • Navigate to Start Repairs and press Start. Choose No at the prompt.
      • Uncheck the following items:
        • 28 - Repair Windows 8 App Store
        • 29 - Repair Windows 8 Component Store
        • 30 - Restore Windows 8 COM+ Unmarshalers
      • Press Start to begin the process. It will take a while.
      • Note that a gray box will pop-up from time to time--this is normal.
    • Once done click the View Logs button.
      • Post the logs contained within the folder.
      • If you find it inconvenient, highlight all of the files (CTRL + A) > right-click on any of the items > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder > Yes.
      • Attach the folder found at your desktop.
  • Logs to Post

In summary of the above, I will need you to post the following log(s):
    • *.txt (Windows Repair (All In One)

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Tried it and got this. image.jpg Tried again and got this. image.jpg

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
As suspected, sadly, your installation is corrupt and the issue is not caused by malware. We can still try once more since it might potentially fix broken components. Download the portable version from the link I provided you with and extract it. Disable your anti-virus before running Repair_Windows.exe. Follow my earlier instructions.

If this does not go through, the solutions I can recommend would be to perform an in-place upgrade (that causes no data loss but renews the system) or a clean installation (you start from scratch). Both require your Windows XP disc and serial. Do you have both? If not, the next way to go is to upgrade to a supported version e.g. Windows 7 and above.

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a new topic.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

I was able to run the windows repair application and it did find errors however i did not know what to do after because it stated that if errors were found I was to do an disc check and i did that but there was no option that i can click "do it: on step 3 .... then when i went to option 4 I got lost ... didn't know what to do from there from your directions and the directions of the application.

I have noticed that I cant update my computer but it wont let me update iTunes or run "windows migration assistant" which I had to install today because I went out and bought an iMac and wanted to transfer all my files to my iMac .. It installed but it wont connect because I got an error window which I cant recall what it said now.

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
As it appears you have a new computer, does that mean we should channel our efforts into backing up your files instead? This is not within the domain of malware removal already, but I will be willing to assist you through this so we can both have some peace of mind. :lol: Kindly get me the error message, and the file type(s) you want to back up. Solutions will be available depending on the content you need transferred in case Windows Migration Assistant just won't run.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi. It's actually running right no the migration assistant. I never clicked on connect that's why it didn't work. Lol. I do want to continue fixing my dell. I don't plan on getting rid of it. I will still need it for my kids for school. I am not sure if I need a new drive but I do have a warranty on the drive. I'm just worried that I won't be able to prove that there's something wrong with it because that's the only way I can get the replacement without being charged.

So what do I do next after I did the disc drive check as I stated on my last post I didn't know what to do next

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts

If you're going to ask for a new hard drive, what options do you have to reinstall the operating system? Do you have the disc? As I stated previously:

If this does not go through, the solutions I can recommend would be to perform an in-place upgrade (that causes no data loss but renews the system) or a clean installation (you start from scratch). Both require your Windows XP disc and serial. Do you have both? If not, the next way to go is to upgrade to a supported version e.g. Windows 7 and above.

• Step 1

Run Repair_Windows.exe by double-clicking it.
    • Disable your anti-virus before proceeding.
    • Navigate to Step 3: Optional:
      • Click Open Check Disk at Next Reboot  > Add to Next Boot.
      • Restart your computer. You will be greeted with a different screen informing you that you have a few seconds to cancel the operation.
      • Allow it to continue by not doing anything. Note that the process may take time depending on the amount of data you have. Your computer will automatically reboot once it is done.
    • Navigate to Step 4: Optional only if you have the operating system disc:
      • Click Do It.
    • Navigate to Repairs and press Open Repairs.
      • Uncheck the following items:
        • 16 - Unhide Non System Files
        • 28.01 - Repair Windows 8/10 App Store
        • 28.02 - Repair Windows 8/10 App Store (Completely Reset App Store)
        • 29 - Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store
        • 30 - Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers
      • Tick Restart/Shutdown System When Finished and choose Restart System.
      • Press Start Repairs to begin the process. It will take a while.
      • Note that a gray box will pop-up from time to time--this is normal.
    • After rebooting, navigate to Settings.
      • Click Open Log Folder.
      • Post the logs contained within the folder.
      • If you find it inconvenient, highlight all of the files (CTRL + A) > right-click on any of the items > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder > Yes.
      • Attach the folder found at your desktop.
  • Logs to Post

In summary of the above, I will need you to post the following log(s):
    • *.txt (Windows Repair (All In One)

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Hi I apologize for over looking your question. I don't think I do I will have to look for it .. I had this hard drive with the help of you guys cloned and installed without the cd's .. my last hard drive was ruined and i went out and purchased a new hard drive i then cloned it uninstalled the old one and reinstalled this one with the instructions of g2g. Do I need it?

I am going to do the rest of your instructions now

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
Oh, was the hard drive cloned when the system was in a good working state, or did errors abound even then?

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Hi OK I have attached the zip file.

As far as my drive yes back in June of 2012 I cloned, uninstalled and reinstalled my drive. I did purchase a new seagate drive and I do have the option to get a new replacement from seagate under my warranty as I have a 5 year warranty so after 3/132017 it will no longer be good.

I didn't use any CD to do the replacement because once I cloned it i didn't need anything else. Then back in March 25th 2015 post #55 (think I got malware (flexify)) i was told that if my drive failed once it will do it again because every time I turned my computer on it wouldn't boot it would take my boot sequence I believe out of order (trying to remember since it was back in March of this year) but all is documented on this site. Not sure if you can see my old posts from those dates.

Attached File  9.12.2015_6.44.08-PM.rar   37.99KB   168 downloads

Pyxis

Pyxis

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,228 posts
How is your system running now? If you do decide to go that route, I would have to direct you to the support forums for Operating Systems. My suggestion before getting the hard drive replaced, however, is to restore from the clone (which we assume is in pristine condition) since you are looking into doing it anyway. If it quirks after that then by all means software issues will have been ruled out, and you can work on getting a replacement hard drive.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I will check and update you tomorrow. Been working crazy hours last couple of days. If my hard drive is going to fail then I rather get a replacement drive, clone and fix it. I have till March of 2017 to get the replacement drive through warranty.

As soon as I get home I will turn my desktop on and use it to see how it's running. 😊