Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Envy X2 Stopped

Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply

mclimbin

mclimbin

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Hello all,

I have an HP Envy X2 (product #C7F27AV, or 11t-g000) that has stopped working.

A few days ago, the keyboard and touchscreen stopped being responsive. Tonight I tried to recover to a previous version, using the Recovery partition on the hard drive (and a usb mouse and keyboard), thinking that the drivers had gone bad. It crashed during the recovery, ending up with the message that says that start-up failed and it was sending error  information to HP (10%...20%...100%), and that it would restart (it was supposedly an SDBUS Internal error). It never restarted, so I restarted myself using the power button.

It started up and stated there was an error, and asked if I wanted to use the Recovery tool to go back to an older set up. Interestingly, the keyboard and the touchscreen were working at this point, but Windows had not loaded correctly. I said yes, and had it go back to Recovery. It crashed again, and ended up with the BSOD, saying that there was an error with the Recovery. Now the computer won't start at all. When I press the power button, I get the HP screen with the little moving circle. Then, the screen goes dark.

Before I tried recovery, I backed up all my data to an external hard drive.

What do you think? Is there any hope?

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

I suggest you to do a startup repair... see here and here

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Thank you for the response.

I made a recovery drive on my other Win8 computer and plugged it in to the usb slot. No difference. When I press the power button, the HP logo appears, along with the circling "please wait" thing, then the screen goes dark.

In other words, it is not loading from the usb drive.

Suggestions?

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Update

I got the Envy to boot from the system usb by entering Bios. It failed. I remade the system usb and it failed again. I was able to get to the Recovery screen where I could choose what to recover from, and chose to reset the system. It seems to be working now, though I have a totally reset system.

This is progress from my point of view. I'm happy I was able to back up my data with the usb keyboard before trying to Recover/Reset. 

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Glad to hear your problem solved!  :D

Regards