Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan Making a lot of noise under GPU stress

Fan GPU

• Please log in to reply

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

During games that are normally Graphic intensive, my GPU tends to always go up in temperature ( Obviously every card does! ) 

However, when the card reaches a certain temperature ( around 75-80 Celsius ), It starts to first of, get very loud, And secondly. I have the computer ontop of my desk, near a window, The whole computer will vibrate from the fan going up to combat the increasing heat.

( I don't know of any Overheating, never had that happen )

I'd like to know what this means, What i need to do to prevent this, Is it normal?

Answers and suggestions are greatly appreciated

GPU: http://puu.sh/jA90G/1fb32036b3.png

Motherboard: http://puu.sh/jA945/21b3115009.png( should you need info )

-Thezorcs

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

it is sort of normal, graphics cards can be very noisy when the fan is running at 100%, so usually they run at lower quieter speeds say 50% but then when the gpu temps hit a certain set limit the fans will automatically increase speed until they are running at 100% and noisy.

the vibrating part tho doesn't really sound normal to me, it may be caused by worn fan or an imbalance issue, not really sure what you can do about this though to be honest except dismantle the card and fit a new/different fan, then again this may not stop the vibrating anyway and would violate the cards warranty if it still has one.

:popcorn:

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

It does not have a warranty, The computer's been used a lot. it's like 2 years old,The fan never reaches 100% speed, only when it's at like 70% fan speed it starts vibrating brutally.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yep sounds like it's probably a worn bearing then and you'd need to replace the fan to fix the problem.

see if this topic helps, does suggest you may be able to fix the problem with some oil if it's a sleeve bearing, can't say i've used that method myself because i always replace any fans and not try to repair them :- http://forums.overcl....php?t=18521213

Edited by terry1966, 13 August 2015 - 12:42 PM.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Are Fans expensive to switch out?

Is it easy to switch them out?

Is it possible it'll fix the problem? 

Lots of questions.. hehe. apologies if it's too much.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Are Fans expensive to switch out?

expensive is relative, but not usually, switch complete cooling system is a lot more expensive than just replacing a fan or 2.

Is it easy to switch them out?

not as easy as swapping case fans but again not typically very hard to do.

Is it possible it'll fix the problem?

the oil/grease solution? no idea, may or may not and it might not even be possible at all depending on the fan. if it does i'd expect it to only be a short time fix anyway.

or changing the fan? yes i'd say changing the fan (or complete cooling solution, heatsink and fan combo.) is more or less 100% certain to fix the problem.

Lots of questions.. hehe. apologies if it's too much.

not at all, that's why the forums are here in the first place, and there's no such thing as a silly question so just keep asking away if there's something you want to know. :spoton:

can you give a link to the exact make and model of your card, and then i'll see if i can find some fans and guides for you.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

It'll be hard to find the one that i have. Do you know of any links where i can specifically look for it?

I know the name of the card.. Not much else..

It's a Nvidia GeForece GTX 660 gddr5 3072MB With roughly 1000mhz (top clock speed)

Wish i knew where to look. i googled for over 25minutes and i all i could find was TI versions of the card.. clearly isn't the one i need to find :/

Edited by TheZorcs, 14 August 2015 - 01:30 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

see if anything here helps you :- https://www.google.c...wIV0xfbCh3Lzgom

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I tried googling for it. I couldn't find any that matched the one i have. i don't really know which one it is.. for all i know there's multiple 660's  :/

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

so you can't find an image that looks like it in that google search link? for instance does it have a single fan or dual fans.

anyway sometimes you may need to remove the cover and other times you may be able to replace the fan without removing the cover, fans are powered by a connection on the card and are just held in place by a few screws.

sorry there's not really a lot more i can tell you.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

i don't know either....Is there a way i can measure the fan dimensions?

or is it more than likely that it won't be the correct mesurement

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

see if anything here helps you :- http://www.newegg.co...y/ID-576/Page-2

for example this fan :- http://www.newegg.co...=9SIA4SR1R82215

notice in the specs it has a blade width of 75mm but another thing to check is the hole to hole distance, on this fan the 3 connections which are used to hold the fan to the heatsink are each 42.5mm apart from each other.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Okay. That's good to know...

at the moment i don't think i can purchase any parts.. so i'll have to see about that later on.

but let's end this thread, as this whole thing might take some time. I'll look into this on my own. to see if i can't find something good.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:thumbsup:

if worst comes to worst then you can always jerry rig a case fan or 2 to the gpu heatsink, an example of what i mean is shown in this video.