Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cpu fan wont start computer restarts over and over

Computer wont start Cpu fan Upgrading Problems Computer restart

• Please log in to reply

Scribble0404

Scribble0404

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just bought a gtx 970 graphics card to replace my gtx 570. I was planning to overclock my computer as well so i bought thermal paste. I removed the old thermal paste from my cpu ccarefully and reinstalled the cpu (i did not put more paste on yet), i pulled out the 570 and installed the 970. The computer will not start, everything except the cpu fan powers on for a split second and then restarts again and again. Ive tried the old graphics card and neither seem to be the issue. Im hoping i just unplugged something or theres a fuse somewhere i can replace.
Specs (rough)
I5-3570? Ill include a picture
16gb ram
750 w fatality power supply
Sorry i dont know perfectly

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: Scribble0404

​You must apply new thermal paste before running the system.   The paste transfers the heat from the CPU to the heatsink, without it you have metal to metal with lots of air present. and the heat transfer is very poor.   within 1 or 2 seconds the CPU will heat up and reach it's thermal design limit and automatically switch off to protect itself. 

Apply the correct amount of new paste, check that the CPU fan plug is securely seated into the CPU fan header on the MB, test and please post back the results.