Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to Internet via my Firefox browser

Best Answer RKinner , 14 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

If it appears that the Internet is connected but that just Firefox is broken then you can try to download Opera via FTP:Start, All Programs, Accessories then Command Prompt.  Text in boxes wit... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
My desktop pc with XP no longer connects to the Internet via Firefox on boot.

1. On normal boot the system stalls at the desktop of icons ( rather than showing the FF start page, as it used to). Clicking Start-firefox causes a beep sound but does not bring up the FF start screen.

2. The usual set of icons appears in the start and system trays including the icon ( two monitors) that shows the Internet connection is working. (An iPad using the pc's router also works fine.)

3. I tried booting in Safe Mode with Networking but I still could not get to the Internet ---- clicking the Firefox icons did not bring up the Firefox start screen.

4. I do not have IE or Chrome browsers installed.

What might be wrong here? What can I try to get Firefox to respond? Thanks. ... Batpark

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

If it appears that the Internet is connected but that just Firefox is broken then you can try to download Opera via FTP:

Start, All Programs, Accessories then Command Prompt. 
Text in boxes with extra spaces so you can see where one space goes is what you type with an Enter after each line.  Regular text is the expected response. Text in parentheses are my comments.

ftp  ftp.opera.com

Connected to get2.opera.com.
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.7)
User (get2.opera.com:(none)):

anonymous

331 Please specify the password.
Password:

any

230 Login successful.

ftp>

cd  pub/opera/win/1151/us

250 Directory successfully changed.

ftp>

ls

(That's actually L S  Here you may get a windows prompt that it has blocked the program.  Tell it to unblock)
Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe

ftp>

binary

200 Switching to Binary mode.

ftp>

get  Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe

200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe (10307952 b
ytes).

(It will take it some time to download the file.  There is no indication that anything is happening but if you go to Task Manager and look at the network traffic you will see that it is working.)

150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Opera_1151_int_Setup.exe (10307952 b
ytes).
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 10307952 bytes received in 44.73Seconds 230.44Kbytes/sec.

ftp>

bye

Now is the tricky part.  Have to find where it got stored.  Do a search of the C:\ for Opera and it should show up.  
Usually it stores the file in XP at C:\Documents and Settings\YourLoginName\
Right click on it and Open File Location then run the file in XP by doubleclicking.  (Win 7 or Vista => right click on the the file and Run As Administrator).  It installs very quickly.  See if it will go anywhere like to att.com

If ftp fails then we have other problems and will have to try something else.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

RKinner: Thanks so much for the quick reply

Contrary to what I said earlier I DID have IE and I was able to use that to install Chrome as well --- so I CAN connect to the internet again.

As to the inability to click on and use Firefox (I prefer Firefox to Chrome and IE), can I safely try to reload Firefox ? Must I first remove my current Firefox installation?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

You can try to install a new copy right over the old one.  If it works fine.  If not, uninstall the old one and try again