Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Non Gaming PC Opinion

• Please log in to reply

Hardscope

Hardscope

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Could someone who is experienced with PCs tell me if this is a good build for a non-gaming PC?

http://pcpartpicker....pe/saved/vfdTwP

Advertisements

Nikki 987

Nikki 987

• Pip
  • 1 posts
How do you open a circuit breaker box

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:     Hardscope,

The build is ok for office/school type work if that is all that you need of it, I would though suggest that you swap the processor for one that ships with the appropriate heatsink and cooling fan, example here and change the 5TB HDD for two 1TB HDDs, 5TB would be an awful lot of data to lose should the drive fail + it would be a nightmare to keep backing up.              ​

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, upper right corner of the page. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

A bit late with my response but to add to Philpower2's observations. 

Your selected parts would work OK but please consider these points.

The CPU is 3rd generation (as is the 1155 Socket on the Motherboard) and is supplied without a cooler, so you would have to buy one.  A 5th generation CPU would also give you better integrated graphics. 

​Will the computer be used mostly for browsing, streaming, music, office, general purpose?    Will you be doing any photo/video editing?