Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen crashes

blue screen memory dump

Best Answer Ztruker , 19 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

I would suggest you backup your data before doing anything else. That way if something goes wrong when you are trying to repair the OS, you won't lose the data: See here: Emergency Kit - save your... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

briz_dad

briz_dad

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

My youngest daughter has inherited a Sony Vaio laptop from her sister. It has been dormant for quite some time.

I am seeing if I can get it to a stable, workable state so that she can use it for school this coming (soon to start) year.

It seems to be intermittently crashing - blue screen of death - with a "memory dump".

Also, I've seen the screen sometimes be "broken up" - not pixilated, but sort of a checkered white dots on it.

Any help? 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello briz_dad,

Two initial suggestions:

1: Connect the notebook to an external screen while troubleshooting to see if the display problem persists on the external screen.

2:  See if there are any crash dumps available. 

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

It could be that the Ram may need removing and reinserting to ensure a good contact between the gold finger on the Ram and the memory slot, can you tell us which exact model of Vaio it is so we can do some research.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Hello briz_dad,

Two initial suggestions:

1: Connect the notebook to an external screen while troubleshooting to see if the display problem persists on the external screen.

2:  See if there are any crash dumps available. 

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

It could be that the Ram may need removing and reinserting to ensure a good contact between the gold finger on the Ram and the memory slot, can you tell us which exact model of Vaio it is so we can do some research.

Hello Tech,

My apologies for the late reply - I'm squeezing this in with other duties... and as the attached reports will attest to (I think), this laptop is crashing a lot when it starts up.

I did install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and ran it after my initial post. It found about 356 items that were removed/cleaned. I ran it 2x after that and ran MS Security Essentials and they both showed clean results.

I also ran a disc check successfully.

Attached are the minidump reports... (I don't currently have an external screen to hook the lap top up to). I await next move.

Sincerely,

Greg

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No worries as we understand there may sometimes be a delay between replies  :thumbsup:

Your crash dumps point towards Nvidea drivers rather than a memory issue so as previously requested please post the exact model name or number of the Vaio so that we can do some research.

In addition to the above, try starting the computer in Safe Mode with Networking and let us know if it crashes, see steps from Microsoft below;

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., click the arrow next to the Lock button eb058ccf-b21e-4dfe-9bb7-1ad6c83b705c_15., and then click Restart.
  2. Do one of the following:

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

• If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the Safe Mode with Networking, and then press ENTER. 

4. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

When your computer is in safe mode, you'll see the words Safe Mode in the corners of the display. To exit safe mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Hmmm...

The computer just started up... and as I was opening Chrome to come to this forum, I saw the screen/desktop do the "pixalation" - like it is getting electronic mumps - and then it crashed.

I started back up in safe mode - which I am currently operating in.

You already know it is a Sony Vaio; I'm not seeing where the model number can be found.

It is running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Processor is Intel Centrino Duo Core T7250 2.00 GHz.

It has 2046 MB of RAM.

--------------- ****------------------

OK - just found this via the Vaio care manual:

VGN-AR600 Series

And this on the bottom of the laptop:

Model: PCG-8Z2L

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

And did it crash!

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

no - didn't crash in safe mode... however, I have run it for periods of time in regular mode without it crashing, also.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

no - didn't crash in safe mode... however, I have run it for periods of time in regular mode without it crashing, also.

Please elaborate!

What happened exactly in both safe mode and booting into Vista?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

The model number is on a label on the bottom of the laptop:

SonyMNM.jpg

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

i think this post got lost in the shuffle - it has the model # and info regarding my last experience starting it up...

The computer just started up... and as I was opening Chrome to come to this forum, I saw the screen/desktop do the "pixalation" - like it is getting electronic mumps - and then it crashed.

You already know it is a Sony Vaio; I'm not seeing where the model number can be found.

It is running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Processor is Intel Centrino Duo Core T7250 2.00 GHz.

It has 2046 MB of RAM.

--------------- ****------------------

OK - just found this via the Vaio care manual:

VGN-AR600 Series

Advertisements

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

did this drop off? Here's the model #

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not sure but have tbh I have been known to inadvertently empty my inbox containing unanswered emails  :oops:

The notebook not crashing in Safe Mode does point more towards a driver issue so uninstalling the present drivers and then installing them afresh is a good starting point.

All of the original video drivers that I can find for the VGN-AR600 series notebooks are the same NVDVID - 13934500 - US, you should download and save these to a folder on the notebooks desktop, create a new restore point (where possible) uninstall the present drivers, restart the notebook in Safe Mode only, Windows will initially use its own generic video drivers to boot when you can then install the previously saved drivers and test.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

I'm not sure that I know how to uninstall the correct drivers.

I downloaded an executable file from the link you have... an that's as far as I've gotten.

Today (finally get back to this), the blue screen error message was:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA

Also, the computer kept "hanging" on the login screen (user login) - so I ended up starting up in Safe Mode with Networking to get the drivers you linked to (and cont. this process).

Can you help me uninstall the correct drivers? (I did some google searches and still don't feel secure in moving forward with the knowledge I have - or don't have ;-) )

Edited by briz_dad, 15 September 2015 - 09:54 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

The site you downloaded from tells you how to install it:

Download and Installation Instructions

1. To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
  2. Download the NVDVID-13934500-US.EXE file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
  3. Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click the NVDVID-13934500-US.EXE file to begin the installation.
  4. At the "User Account Control" screen, click "Continue".
  5. At the "NVIDIA Display Drivers" screen, click "Next".
  6. At the "License Agreement" dialog, read the agreement, then, if you agree, click "I Agree" to continue with the installation.
  7. At the "Finished" screen, click "Finish".
  8. The computer will automatically restart.

After the computer restarts, the installation of the NVIDIA® Display Drivers is complete.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

It is the uninstalling of the current drivers I'm concerned about... Is it necessary to uninstall them before running the executable? If so, then that is what I need some direction with. I did do some Google searches for "how to" and didn't find anything I am comfortable with - a lot of them suggested programs to install and admin drivers (which I am leary of).

uninstalling the present drivers...

...uninstall the present drivers, restart the notebook in Safe Mode only, Windows will initially use its own generic video drivers to boot when you can then install the previously saved drivers and test.